2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have now fitted both the Toda and FD2 oil pump kits which remove the very heavy and drag causing OEM oil pump.

Fitting of the kits although simple in theory is a pretty tricky job as you need to remove the timing chain cover and unfortunately engine mounts are hung off of that so its a bit of a juggling job to get access, do the job and support the motor.

The Toda kit and FD2 pump, visually look the same but when tested the Toda one runs at a higher pressure which is a know fix around the cavitation issues common with the K20 pumps. Pressure increase is about 1.5bar.
Internally without stripping the pumps (which I'm not going to do) its safe to assume that Toda have machined the gears in similar way to what they have done previous pumps and which has been extensively covered and carried out in other pumps available from the US.

Gains, 10bhp at peak and gains right across the rev range.
Drivability, it does make a noticeable difference to the engine characteristics in that pickup seems a bit snappier and when you lift off there is a slight lurch but it is only slight. best way I can describe it is similar to fitting a lightened flywheel. Basically its all good.

In summary, a good mod that will see good gains and doesn't need any changes making to the mapping of the car.

Winnarrrrrr! ;)

View attachment FN2 balancer shaft delete kit.pdf

I can supply and fit the FD2 kits for £761.20 +vat which includes oil and filter. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Thats some very good results. Car is still in the bodyshop at the moment otherwise it would be booked in

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
Great results, Paul stop doing this, my wallet can't take it!

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
That is a great gain and has now been incorporated into "The Plan". The best bit is that the gains are consisten across the rev range. Ash I am sure you have won the lotto or something the amount you've spent this month!!

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Nice one Paul :D But are you saying the Toda pump offers potential advantages over the FD2 pump against cavitation for an FD2 owner who would like to take full advantage of the A3 cams and run 9000rpm safely? ;)

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
woohoo, liking the sounds of that, cant wait to get mine fitted in march. :D

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
Ok so you have removed the driven balancer shaft. Is there much more vibration coming from the engine? Why did you have to replace the oil pump? Is it driven off the balancer shaft? Or does the increased pressure cause less vibration?

Also why did Honda find the need to even put balancer shafts on the K20AZ3? To reduce vibration? Cause we really wanted to compromise power for less vibration! Not.

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
Ok so you have removed the driven balancer shaft. Is there much more vibration coming from the engine? Why did you have to replace the oil pump? Is it driven off the balancer shaft? Or does the increased pressure cause less vibration?.
It would be difficult to notice any increase in engine vibration. It will be the same as a standard EP3 and FD2 engine in this respect. The oil pump is part of the kit and a different drive ratio.

Also why did Honda find the need to even put balancer shafts on the K20AZ3? To reduce vibration? Cause we really wanted to compromise power for less vibration! Not
We believe it's driven by a Euro 5 directive.

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
We believe it's driven by a Euro 5 directive.
Another great reason for being part of Europe :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually........ The oil pump system used on the Euro Accords and Euro Civic Type-Rs is, in the exact words of someone very connected with the K20 R&D project "Because Englishman never check oil!":facepalm:

Oil starvation and loosing pressure on the tensioner is the biggest killer of the K20 engines. The OEM pump design which is pretty much full width across the oil pan isn't so oil critical as the K20A type single pickup.
Downside is the mechanical losses induced.;)

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
No we dont, ever. None of us. Mad.

So whats the going rate for this at TDI South?

I predict this is going to become popular. Any point of me getting it done at this stage?

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I predict this is going to become popular. Any point of me getting it done at this stage?
I honestly think bang for £££ thais has to be one of the best mods available as it also doesnt require and ECU changes to work properly.

My list of basic to do's on an FN2 will now probably read:

Fast road/Geo setup with or without 15mm springs
LSD (If not standard)
Uprated pads and lines (Ferodo DS2500 or Cosworth)
Oil pump conversion
Flashpro

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
No we dont, ever. None of us. Mad.

So whats the going rate for this at TDI South?

It's approximately 4 hours of work Ash. If the budget is available it's a good time to be doing the camshafts because the valve cover and chain have to be removed to install the killer kit :)

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
It's approximately 4 hours of work Ash. If the budget is available it's a good time to be doing the camshafts because the valve cover and chain have to be removed to install the killer kit :)
Replace the camshafts with what? I thought that was what the beauty was with the FN2 engine?

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
I honestly think bang for £££ thais has to be one of the best mods available as it also doesnt require and ECU changes to work properly.

My list of basic to do's on an FN2 will now probably read:

Fast road/Geo setup with or without 15mm springs
LSD (If not standard)
Uprated pads and lines (Ferodo DS2500 or Cosworth)
Oil pump conversion
Flashpro
Who gave you my wish list! :p

1 - 20 of 128 Posts