2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning everyone. As some of you will know, I've gone about as far as I can with NA power gains on my FD2 (see here - http://www.civinfo.com/forum/modification-projects/67314-tb-air-intake-mods-fd2-dyno-plot-pics.html) so the next step has been to ditch some weight. With that in mind, I fitted some Corbeau Pro-Series Kevlar/Carbon seats last week (6.5kg per shell) using Buddy Club rails (4kg per seat), which saved a total of 23kgs.

I also fitted a super-lightweight lithium ion battery (see below) that weighs 3kg and is about the same size as a bag of sugar but has the juice of a huge 120A/hour lead acid battery (in fact, there's so much cranking power it makes my OEM seem feeble)! So that saved another 10kg :). The total weight saved is 33kgs and boy, you can notice it. With my other weight savings, I should be close to dipping under the 1200kg mark - I'm going to get to a weighbridge soon :)

PS - a big thanks to Andrew Baird at Automek who fitted the seats and rejigged the battery wiring so that it looks OEM. This guy is a perfectionist and what he doesn't know about Hondas ain't worth knowing!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Awesome mate. Andrew is fitting my brakes on Wednesday so good to hear of another happy customer

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys :) I should also add that I was originally thinking of Recaro Pole Positions, but at £600 each just for the shell in GRP/Kevlar (heavier), the Corbeaus were just too good to ignore. And I'm so glad I went for the Corbeaus - they're beautifully constructed and really comfy. Moreover, Corbeau is a fantastic company to deal with - they bent over backwards to ensure I was 100% happy and I can't recommend them highly enough. Better still, all the seats are handbuilt in Britain, which is good for our economy I guess and I even know the the name of the guy that did the lay-up on my seats! :)

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
That battery looks tiny! Seats look very smart! [smilie=gt-happyup.:

Reactions: Lunar Tick

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
Wow, they look fantastic.

Some nice weight saving also.:)

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
that battery is tiny!!

seats look nice....:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again for positive comments :)

The battery is bloody expensive - you'd pay over £750 :shock: at full retail. I got it a bit cheaper as I'm writing a 'users review' on it for the supplier. However, I guess when you compare it to a carbon bonnet plus shipping/painting/fitting and add in the fact that it saves quite a bit more weight than a carbon bonnet, it suddenly doesn't seem that crazy ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looking good mate. That battery is crazy small!!

I have been looking at these seats. But was worried about using them as my FD2 is a daily driver... Will have to have a cheeky test sit at Japfest please.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking good mate. That battery is crazy small!!

I have been looking at these seats. But was worried about using them as my FD2 is a daily driver... Will have to have a cheeky test sit at Japfest please.
Absolutely no worries about a test sit/drive Neil :) The seats are actually very comfy with the added bolster cushions and lumbar support. The standard size is OK for up to 32-33inch waist. The XL for bigger builds. I chose standard for me and XL for my passengers - aren't I considerate :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cheers Andy. Standard size will be fine for me, never thought of getting a bigger size for the passenger. That'll keep her happy.

I'm on a bucket seat test day at Japfest lol

1 - 20 of 71 Posts