2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Fifth Gear Car wash test

4K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  stevey_p7 
#1 ·
A good test that fifth gear did to show you what damage car washes etc do to your car. Seeing as our paint work isn't the best,and why you should best avoid the dreaded squeegee thing well.

I think there is nothing more satisfying than cleaning your own car as well.:D

#3 ·
This needs to be forwarded. Cheers. ;-)

#6 ·
I pre wash my car before using a soft brush. I have hose on a wide spray and start at top to wash down so any grit is washed away. Then shampoo and hose down and dry I have started to use a blade (kent) but I make sure is clean or sometimes use a large micro fibre cloth

#9 ·
least i know i have been wasting my time on a sunday washing my own car ;)

#12 ·
Sadly people wont watch this!!
Not interested..like the guy over the road who never washes his car because he says it will only get dirty again!!
God knows what his house is like inside!!
Like the Garage near my work that clears snow off his cars with a yard bush

#14 ·
To be fair all this shows is that the vast majority of people don't even care about imperfections to their cars. A daily drive car is definately going to pick these things up no matter how hard you try. The enthusiasts will always have the best methods.

#16 · (Edited)
You need:

Pressure washer with snow foam and attachement

2 Bucket system with grit guards

Microfibre mits (1 for paint and 1 for wheels)

Relevant chemicals - eg good wash chemical and a good no acidic wheel cleaner

Drying towels (to be dragged not rubbed) or if your flush a de-ionised water system so you can rinse the car dry (stops water spotting)

Also the less you touch the car the better so best regime is a pressure washer with a snow foam 1st, then a rinse with the pressure washer then a regular wash with mits, 2 buckets and grit guards after the snow foam and rinse have removed most of the grit, then a dry by microfibre deep pile towelling using the drag method or if you have the funds rinse with de-ionised water system then leave to air dry (best method as its no contact)

Best rule to follow is the less contact you make, the less scratches/ swirls you will acquire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.