2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping next year to change final drive as will be changing 3rd gear synchro so may as well while gearbox is open.

5.4 FD equates to circa 8% shorter gears.
5.8 FD equates to circa 16% shorter gears.

I dont need top speed. I also dont mind extra revs on motorway, as a few hundred rpm wont bother me, if it ever does then I will just cruise at 60/65mph instead of 70mph.

Anyone have opinion or experience on which to choose?

Will 1st be undriveable with 5.8 FD? Will it put too much strain on drivetrain or make noise?

Thanks

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,057 Posts
I know you mention a few hundred extra rpm won't bother you but it could also hurt fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good points, normally only average 2000 miles a year, even with baby duties can't imagine going over 4000 miles so fuel isn't a major issue.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Hard to call as its only having setup for few months you realise the likes and dislikes yourself

What the overall compromise you want and main factor you want to achieve ?

The fact that fuel isnt an issue and only few k a year depends if you want out right acceleration and live with downside of 5.8 or want some acceleration with daily use not affected too much.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hard to call as its only having setup for few months you realise the likes and dislikes yourself

What the overall compromise you want and main factor you want to achieve ?

The fact that fuel isnt an issue and only few k a year depends if you want out right acceleration and live with downside of 5.8 or want some acceleration with daily use not affected too much.
Main factor is a cost effective way (while gearbox open) of getting acceleration and the feeling.

I'm not sure of all downsides to 5.8, apart from the obvious revs and reduced mpg when cruising.

I'm wondering though with family duties if it will make more transmission noise? Also more aggressive angles of the splines could be weaker?

I agree that I won't know for sure without trying it, and certainly don't want to be pulling the gearbox apart again.

5.4 is safer from that respect as the negatives are reduced.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
On that basis go 5.8 for value V gaining acceleration.

You dont need long 6th as weekend car not used much.

Your box will whine more

Value for money gearing is best mod you can do for acceleration if you can live with drop in economy and more noise

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 5.86 FD in my track only EP3. It's brilliant for track but not sure how I much I would like it on the road. 1st can be a little bit clunky infact it can be very clunky. But pinning the throttle gives a very firm smile across the face!

As for sound, I had my KAAZ diff and FD fitted at the same time so can't tell you which does it but my gearbox makes a slight whine now that can be heard externally. It's like a very quiet sequential noise or the sound some superchargers make. I personally love the sound and have only heard it from inside my (mega stripped out) car, but my friend tells me it is heard externally also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts