2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After seeing Nick7's build his enclosure http://www.civinfo.com/forum/ipods-mp3-players-ice/7470-my-sub-speaker-install.html
it gave me the idea for mine.

i decided to go for some decent components for the install,
12" JL12W3D2 sub by jl audio (300W RMS 2ohm dual coil)
and a 2 channel Rockford fosgate amp which gave 120W RMS per channel (its old but its still better than most on the market)
they are quite expensive but its well worth the extra money!

i used a converter to get the signal to the amp taken from the rear speakers (which Ive replaced with some JBL coaxials)

the subwoofer requires at least liters in a sealed enclosure but Ive designed it with 54 liters with more than enough room for the amp. unfortunately the sub required 7 inches of depth so sticks out the floor buy about an inch.

i built the box with 18mm Mdf, cut to 3 different sizes so was quite easy to cut up
and i sealed it together with some sealing adhesive and screws.

in the boot

with the amp lid removed

the amp close up

i cut in a fan which is a fan with an adjustable speed so its not too noisy and keeps the amp cool.

to connect the sub to the amp i used some M6 bolts with washers securing the cables. this ensured the box would be a complete seal.

i got the carpet from a local audio fitters. its quite a good match in real life, but seems to come out a bit more in the picture. the carpet really made the box look like it came in the car.

once powered up it sounded absolutly awsome. Ive never heard soo much bass from one 12" sub! i haven't managed to find a suitable setting yet as i need to go somewhere away from civilization for some fine tuning. it really shakes your bones!!!!!!!!

overall it was reasonably easy. it took me 2 days to run all the cables and build the box, which i think is a reasonable time.

I'm buying a grill for when i have anything in the boot.

my next steps are to
1. amplify the rear speakers
2. replace the front speakers with some components and amplify them also

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good - wasn't it poss to sink the sub below the mdf panel, to give it a more flush look?
i had considered it but the trouble is the sub is a very deep sub so it wasn't really possible without making the enclosure bigger, which i think would look a bit too big.

i quite like the way it looks anyway,

·
Registered
337 Posts
i had considered it but the trouble is the sub is a very deep sub so it wasn't really possible without making the enclosure bigger, which i think would look a bit too big.

i quite like the way it looks anyway,
I agree, it does look good.
another way would be to raise the floor by an inche or so

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,182 Posts
how did you connect the amp to the cars speaker wires? ive got a LOC but it wants me to ground its earth and the speker wire earth to ground which is not correct is it?

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how did you connect the amp to the cars speaker wires? ive got a LOC but it wants me to ground its earth and the speker wire earth to ground which is not correct is it?
im not sure about that? seems a bit odd grounding speaker wires, that will probably blow a fuse.

i just got a simple one that you just wire in the speaker cables and it has rca outputs on the other side. you can adjust the outputs but ive left it on full and adjusted on the amp insted.

here it is:-
Car Audio Direct - Celsus LC2 Adjustable Converter - Accessory
its reasonably cheap too

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,182 Posts
Im Not Grounding Any Speakers, Sod That. Mine Is The Audio Leads Basic Type Speaker Wires In Rca Out, But It Has An Earth Lead. Did You Take Any Pics Of Where You Connected Up The Speaker Wires To The Box?

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i didnt take any pics sorry,

you will probably be ok not grounding the LOC, it might just be there to get rid of any interferance. i would wire it up without the earth and see if it works. if it doesnt, connect it.

i took off the rear armrest panels to get to the rear speakers then connected in a new wire to the speaker cable using some connector blocks and ran it down behind the panels to the boot then put the LOC underneath the carpet and polystyrene behind the rear seats.
i would take some more pics but im away from home from early tomorrow on a training course for a week. if i have any time before my lift gets here i will try!

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,182 Posts
hi, not a problem i will sort it. thanks

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Glad my idea inspired someone else too :)

However, think about putting a board over speaker (or something), as I did.
It will not affect sound, but it will protect your speaker when you put stuff in trunk!

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
However, think about putting a board over speaker (or something), as I did.
It will not affect sound, but it will protect your speaker when you put stuff in trunk!
yeah i agree, ive ordered a grill for the speaker which should be along soon. although i will only put it in when its needed as i like the look.

as a compromise for now i had to build a guard using a bit of wood with two bits nailed on so i could put some golf clubs in last nite.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im gonna post my measurements of the different sections of wood as i know some people are interested,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts