2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a week long wait I finally got to pick up my car from the dealership yesterday! Woohoo!

It's an 07 Type R GT with Sat Nav / HFT and the Rage alloys. So far - amazing car! It ticks all my requirements for a car compared with my previous Focus ST / RS Megane - which is the balance of being a hatchback but with plenty of space in the boot, sporty, good MPG and with the comforts of a modern car.

I genuinely looked at nearly 10 different cars but couldn't ask for more with the Type R and I think I'll be keeping this for a long time to come... (esp as next on the list is a house!)

First mod is to change the wheels... I love the Rage's but I really want some Rota P1's in black (I'm back to my red/black theme as per my old ST). I'll stick the Rage's up for sale (or swap) soon to see if anyone is interested.

First pics... more to come when I get the DSLR out!

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
Great looking CTR, the best colour also

Reactions: Anatonic

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Stunning looking R you have there mate. Enjoy her.

Am in the process of trying to chop my ST2 for one of these :D

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
hmmm tastey

·
Registered
114 Posts
You'll love her, gorgeous looking! Second best colour too ;)

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the ctr gang. Very nice MR:):) How do you feel it compares with focus ST?
Always a difficult one to compare but I'll be totally honest and say I genuinely loved my ST and never had one single issue with it, even with mods. Despite that, I'm genuinely happy I made the change.

The ST in a way is a bridge between a hot hatchback and a more powerful saloon. What I mean by that is that it feels more like a comfy armchair that gets you from A to B quickly - it has the hot hatch pedigree and can get a bit wild too (and the 5-pot growl!), but it also has a lazy side to it with the buckets of torque from the turbo and the ability to cruise really easily on long distance. The ride is a little more comfortable witha bit of roll from the body and the turbo is easily modded and remapped to give upwards of 280+bhp for very little outlay.

The Civic on the other hand feels more like a go-kart, and with substantially less torque, you really work it to get it moving and it's this involvement from a driving aspect that probably makes it feel faster and more like a car with some sort of racing pedigree. The rock hard suspension isn't for everyone, but the handling feels much sharper and pointy, and the seats suit me better as a taller driver with the upper bolsters better supporting around my shoulders. The styling and the way the dash and cockpit in general wrap around your position only help amplify the feeling that you're really 'tucked' into something that can dart around town.

Other than that, my factors in change were really simple - I wanted to retain lots of space with the seats down like the ST (and the Civic feels better as the seats go completely flat) but I didn't want to move to a saloon or 4 door car like an FD2 or M3. My ST modded was getting around 20mpg average and this equally forced the change - and the high 20s / low 30s in the CTR are ideal.

End of the day I stood back and asked myself how often do I truly go out and drive, and what would I be happy in? 75% of my time is on the commute and the majority of the time the car will never get opened up or into VTEC at all - yet when I go out for a drive with friends or at the weekends, its a car I'll love driving briskly as well as taking to the track. The ST simply was too much for town driving - couldn't go any faster than my new CTR and was less suited to that 'darting around town' feel.

VERY happy indeed!

Reactions: TH3DOCTOR

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
Always a difficult one to compare but I'll be totally honest and say I genuinely loved my ST and never had one single issue with it, even with mods.
What mods did you do?

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
wheels

Hi, When do you think you will be putting the wheels for sale
I have a set of 18" type R if you looking to swop with cash

im definetly interested

Let me know thanks

Nice car by the way

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome mate and good choice ;) I also came from an ST too and havent looked back, the CTR is an amazing car. Good luck with the wheels sounds nice! :D

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Lightning Alloys

Milano Red R's look awesome with Lightning alloys and they are lighter than 18" OEM wheels. Just happens I happen to have a brand new set for sale, check out my for sale thread if interested.:D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts