2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(copied from a post of mine on http://www.hondacivicforum.co.uk)

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for information and possibly advice.

In October last year, I purchased an 18 month old Honda Civic SI from my local dealership (registered March 2010). I was extremely pleased as I have wanted a Honda Civic since I first saw them!

However, just over three months later.. I was basically woken up at around 12:30AM this morning (23rd January), looked out of my window to see the front of my car on fire. By the time I called the fire services, the car was completely consumed and destroyed another vehicle which was parked next to it, and slightly damaged another one. An investigator from the fire serice said the fire was most likely started due to an electrical fault because it started to the left of the engine/under the bonnet.

I had not used the car AT ALL Sunday. The last time it was used was Saturday - I got back home around 18:15. Everything was fine.

I know Honda called thousands of Jazz models last year (or the year before..) due to fire risk which, with one incident ending in a fatality. But I was wondering if anyone had heard about these Civics?

Would I be right in assuming that, although the investigator has said it is very likely the fire was started due to an electrical fault, Honda cannot do anything until my insurance company has carried out an investigation? I am in complete and utter shock and can't believe that I can't even get another car - despite heavily relying on one for work.

So yeah, any information and advice would be greatly appreciated.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
I am currently waiting for the report from my insurance regarding their investigation (which should be done by the 27th January).

The vehicle is still under the original manufacturer's warranty.

My local dealership and customer service have been very unhelpful.

See photo of my pride and joy (which includes the van destroyed) .. :(

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,544 Posts
Oh no. :-(

I hope the insurance sorts things out.

I have not heard of any other Civics catching fire.

I've heard of one other, and seen the pics, was in my local paper a few weeks ago. Same area, started under the bonnet but was being driven at the time it started.

·
Innuendo Queen
1,706 Posts
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about this and see the pictures! I feel awful for you, hope it's sorted out soon.

I also have a Mar '10 registered black Si... slightly concerning!

But she's been completely free from any issues since I bought her, except a squeaky clutch (which doesn't any more) and the obligatory chips.

So I'm hoping it'll stay that way.

Do let us know how it goes?

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Last year sometime there was a feature on BBC's "The One Show" concerning these Chineese Lanterns that you see in the sky.
They had some CCTV footage of one of these coming down still alight and blowing under the front of a parked car which it promtly set fire to.
I wonder if the FB investigation ruled out this possibility?
Very sorry for you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fr0d, Neither have I! Slightly worried for all the Civics either in my area or the ones owned by friends now :(

katsock, I really hope this is a one off. I've had no problems with this car (until now!), but then I have only had it three months.

RollingThunder, I don't even recall ever seeing those lanterns in my area (it's a tiny village in Bedfordshire), but the idea is very interesting indeed!

I will post as soon as I hear/see the report.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It's a good thing your Civic was outside! Imagine it being in a garage, attached to your house...

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,544 Posts
I find it hard to imagine that a car sitting perfectly OK for 24 hours+ would suddenly catch fire.

There must be something odd here.

All I can think of is a rat or something got under the bonnet and started gnawing at the wiring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
chillidog, I must admit, since Tuesday evening 'what if' situations keep running across my mind. It's quite terrifying.

Kremmen, Even if it was a rat, for example, would under the bonnet suddenly light up? It's not like the car went up in flames when I tried to start it.

Sorry, you may have noticed that I have limited knowledge about the mechanics/electrics of cars.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Interesting and very sad.... Hope it gets sorted quick for you. I think if there was a problem with Civic, it would have been well documented on here.

Honda recalled the Jazz in 2010 for a small risk of fire and so did Toyota for several models.

I guess all cars have incidents of them randomly catching fire, so many factors can cause it.

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Surely if it's still under manufacturers warranty, completely standard, then they should issue you with a new one?

Feel for you, I would be devastated if that happened to mine. All the best with getting back on track and keep us updated

·
Innuendo Queen
1,706 Posts
My mate has a thing for Micras (well someone has to I suppose). And apparently, they do have a bit of a history of spontaneous combustion.

Except - one of the times hers went up, it was an arsonist!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update
(kind of)

I have received an email reply from my local fire service saying that, according to the report, the cause of the fire was overheating (which I don't understand because it's winter and the engine was off for 24+ hours). No human factors contributed to the fire and the fire started in the engine compartment.

I have to purchase the official report from them if I want to see it, but I think I will wait to hear from my insurance (who rang earlier to tell me that the investigation is under way and I should hear back tomorrow/MONDAY!).

Bog
, Thanks. And I know all manufacturers have had their issues. No one understands why I want another Civic though - I've waited 5 years to have one and I'm not settling on just owning one for 3 months!!!

tuccy29, Thanks, apparently 'original manufacturer's warranty' means very little to them at the moment!

katsock, Goodness!! I think that's more terrifying than a fault. I'd hate to think someone was being malicious or wanted to harm me/my family!! :O

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.