2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I鈥檓 new to all this and Hondas in general. I鈥檝e always liked the look of the Fn2 and when I had to give back my company car I bought one on the spur of the moment. It鈥檚 a 2007 GT spec with decent service history but the fact it鈥檚 had 11 previous owners makes me wary. It鈥檚 currently at 129,000 miles, some mods, HKS intake, aftermarket rims and by the look of it someone鈥檚 chopped the little silencer cans off the standard exhaust 馃槼 what do I need to look out for with the car? And what preventative maintenance should I do? I鈥檝e been looking for a replacement oem back box online but can鈥檛 seem to find one anywhere, are oem parts hard to find for these and if so what are the cheaper options as I don鈥檛 have thousands to throw at it 馃槀 thanks in advance

i-Vtec
Welcoem to civinfo.

Quite alot of owners right enough. Type R can be an aquired taste due to the firm suspension, so maybe not to everyones liking in the first instance.

Preventitive measures, just the usual, oil and filter changes especially on a high reving chain driven engine. Best place for rear boxes will be ebay, gumtree, facebook market place id suggest. Honda will be silly prices.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Das 馃憤馃徎 I鈥檝e got the car booked in at a mates garage for a good going over this week, bought from an independent dealer so freshly serviced and usual 6 month warranty on her. Agree the suspension may not be to everyone鈥檚 liking but I don鈥檛 find it too harsh and she grips the road really well. Will continue the search for the silencer cans, she sounds like a tank at low revs, perfect for annoying the neighbours 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Grossey, glad to be here, sure I鈥檓 going to have loads of ridiculous questions to ask 馃槀

more torque than the mrs
these do change hands regularly so don't be put off with the amount of owners, i'm guessing most of them owners would've had their few months of fun then got rid, the main thing on these is the service history its a must but you're doing the right thing by letting your mate check it all over.. a/c is a common fault on these and suspension top mounts can seize, mirror (sods) fail causing the mirrors to fold slow or not at all other than that they're pretty reliable..

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info Deni 馃憤馃徎 A/c is one of the things on my list, hopefully it鈥檚 just a re-gas, it鈥檚 blowing hot at the minute, drivers mirror is a bit sticky but I can live with that. The service history is what sold it to me, it鈥檚 got 20 stamps in the book, mostly main dealer, it also had a load of work done last year to put it through its MOT, brakes etc.. so fingers crossed I鈥檝e bought a good one 馃馃徎

Premium Member
Thanks for the info Deni 馃憤馃徎 A/c is one of the things on my list, hopefully it鈥檚 just a re-gas, it鈥檚 blowing hot at the minute, drivers mirror is a bit sticky but I can live with that. The service history is what sold it to me, it鈥檚 got 20 stamps in the book, mostly main dealer, it also had a load of work done last year to put it through its MOT, brakes etc.. so fingers crossed I鈥檝e bought a good one 馃馃徎
check the relay first on the AC, Genuine Honda Civic Mitsuba Air Con Relay 2006-2016 - 39794SDAA05 -

Registered
Welcome.

I just got an FN2, so can give you some advice and I might be taking the rear box off mine to replace with a TDI one next week, just deciding on whether I can afford it with the other mods I am getting done. Where are you based?

RE: Aircon

I got the air-con and re-gassed and cleaned for about 拢70, it was F1 tyre place, they had a deal on.

The cleaning is just a can of aerosol, which you can buy from Halfords and do yourself if on a tight budget, just get them to do the re-gass or whoever you can find cheapest. You can replace the pollen filter yourself, I got one off Ebay for 拢10, there are several guides on youtube, you don't even need tools.

Pre-emptive maintenance

Mine had 94k miles, I got the gearbox oil changed and the gearstick bushes to make the change better. I also got the oil/filters service and the valve clearances, I'd advise the latter two it's a few hundred quid but will make the engine run well. K20's often drink oil, especially if you're in the VTEC zone a lot, so check the oil regularly make sure you've got a bottle of oil at home or in the car and keep it topped up as required. At 129k if the gearbox oil has never been changed it would be a good thing to do, but have a look through your history and see when last done.

Parts are generally cheap, Ebay tends to be quite dear, but worth checking, you'll find lots are being broken and advertised on FB market place. Plus people modding them tend to sell the used parts on there too.

To give you an idea of cheap parts. The front bumper on mine had rough paintwork, the lacquer had pealed, the headlight washers had gone pink, I managed to track down a whole bumper (upper section, bottom splitter, fogs and headlight washers for 拢300 in good condition and a local bodyshop fitted it for 拢60. And I think I'll get c拢150 for the removed parts despite being in bad condition. Honda quoted me 拢360 each for the upper and lower parts, plus the washer/fogs would be extra. Mine looks substantially cleaner for doing it and was not a huge amount of money. You'd never paint the bumper for anything near that kind of money.

I'd also check the shocks, mine were leaking quite baldy at 94k, you can get Sachs ones for about 拢80 a corner and you'll find the ride quality really improved if they're old by getting them done.

If you want to get rid of the aftermarket rims, there are regularly FN2 wheels on FBMP, I got an (almost) mint set of championship white wheels for 拢300. They had tyres on and I sold them on Ebay for 拢220, so got the wheels for 拢80! I've seen silver ones 拢150-300.

If they're curbed, if you search around, you'll find some back street places will powder cost for 拢35-50 a wheel.

Find yourself a friendly local independent garage and bodyshop that charge reasonable labour, source the parts yourself and get them to fit.

Good luck with the car.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Hi NPC, thanks for the info 馃憤馃徎 Will be getting the gearbox oil and valve clearances done as soon as, lots of people have said same as you about them, body work wise she鈥檚 not too bad just the usual stone chips you鈥檇 expect with a higher mileage car. I鈥檓 based in South Yorkshire and have an F1 autocentre just down the road so will give them a call about aircon 馃憤馃徎 I鈥檝e been searching about on google and found a couple of Japanese car breakers in Sheffield so hopefully will be a good source of spares, but if you do decide to replace your back box give me a shout, id deffo be interested 馃憤馃徎 Cheers

Registered
Mines getting a new engine + gearbox fitted (long story) and an inlet/outlet manifolds done whilst the engine is out. And a LSD/new clutch. It's already got an ECUTEK map on the ECU, so it would just need to be re-mapped by TDI north once the work is complete. I just need to see if I have the budgets to get the exhaust done prior to the map, I probably will just need to make sure the other works come in at the expected levels before making a call.

I'll come back to you this week to confirm.

It'll be at TDI North (Warrington), so would need picking up from there, probably next Friday/Saturday. Is that possible for you to pick up? I might be able to drive to meet you somewhere if not?

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I鈥檓 actually away for the next two weeks mate, sunning it up on the east coast 馃槀 if it鈥檚 still available when I get back would be able to arrange to pick it up, but if you鈥檝e sold it no worries 馃憤馃徎 Thanks for the offer 馃憤馃徎

Super Moderator
Hi NPC, thanks for the info 馃憤馃徎 Will be getting the gearbox oil and valve clearances done as soon as, lots of people have said same as you about them, body work wise she鈥檚 not too bad just the usual stone chips you鈥檇 expect with a higher mileage car. I鈥檓 based in South Yorkshire and have an F1 autocentre just down the road so will give them a call about aircon 馃憤馃徎 I鈥檝e been searching about on google and found a couple of Japanese car breakers in Sheffield so hopefully will be a good source of spares, but if you do decide to replace your back box give me a shout, id deffo be interested 馃憤馃徎 Cheers
I have an F1 close to me and have used them for a few small jobs on both FN2 and Si. They were quite happy to fit customer supplied parts and just charge the labour (拢60 an hour if I recall), especially since I get tyres from them via Blackcircles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts