2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Reasonable Tenor voice
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 days ago I left my company scheme and handed back my Mini Cooper for my own 1.8 type S. It has been an interesting couple of days comparing the 2 cars. So my impressions are based on the Mini which I had for 4 years.

The first thing I noticed is that my right elbow does not bang into the door! The build quality is much improved. The Mini felt cheaper, the overhead light fitting actually fell off suddenly as I was driving. The Honda just feels more solid. The first time I took a corner at speed I knew the Civic was much better. It really held the line all of the way around. The mini by comparison would bounce about quite a bit. The gear change is also much smoother. The Mini would sometimes against fight me, when I selected a gear. The braking is less sharp though, but this might just be me getting used to a heavier car. Also it is not quite as "nippy" as the Mini, (same condition applies though). It does not pull as hard is the Mini, but that might be me trying not the thrash it. I'm 55 years old as I tend to drive more sedately than when I was 25 (mind you I was astride a Honda VFR 750 then, and so had to keep the bike in the red zone!)

It has better sound insulation. This was tested on a rather noisy road surface near where I live. In the Mini I would actually have to turn up the radio on this stretch. Not so in the type S. In fact the basic audio system sounds better overall.

Overall I'm very pleased with the type S. I hope it keeps going for a long time. Today I popped into Halfords and at the door a man in RAC uniform stopped me and said "what are you doing going in there? Honda's never break down". He should know!

·
Reasonable Tenor voice
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VTEC Burn up..

Ah, now I get it! I hit 6000 RPM and the thing just zooms. Very nice indeed. So that is what a VTEC engine can do [smilie=graytard.gi:. The mini came no where near such a feeling of power, in fact it tended to drop off. The VTEC just keeps going, I'm deeply impressed. What now? Should I cruise up and down the dual carriage way (no motorways in Cornwall) look for a Cooper S who want's a burn up? Would that would be little childish? Of course it would.

I have noticed a few Type R's in the last few days driving very close apparently waiting for me to make a move.

·
AWESOME-O 4000
187 Posts
I do that to most other cars Shinybadrobot haha.. Last car I did it to was a Renault sport 2ltr.. was funny.
It may just be me but I find civic owners park next to each other? Everyday I've parked by myself and I'll come back to see a civic in the spot next to me!
Get yourself a civic infosticker!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Ah, now I get it! I hit 6000 RPM and the thing just zooms. Very nice indeed. So that is what a VTEC engine can do [smilie=graytard.gi:. The mini came no where near such a feeling of power, in fact it tended to drop off. The VTEC just keeps going, I'm deeply impressed. What now? .[/quote]

VTEC - Civinfo Wiki

sorry :)

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Ah, now I get it! I hit 6000 RPM and the thing just zooms. Very nice indeed. So that is what a VTEC engine can do [smilie=graytard.gi:. The mini came no where near such a feeling of power, in fact it tended to drop off. The VTEC just keeps going, I'm deeply impressed. What now? Should I cruise up and down the dual carriage way (no motorways in Cornwall) look for a Cooper S who want's a burn up? Would that would be little childish? Of course it would.

I have noticed a few Type R's in the last few days driving very close apparently waiting for me to make a move.[/quote]

Ohh lets not open the Vtec debate again. Its not what you think....
Suprised you said about better handling. My mums mini cooper went round bendy bits on rails. Then it was the works version.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Ohh lets not open the Vtec debate again. Its not what you think....
Suprised you said about better handling. My mums mini cooper went round bendy bits on rails. Then it was the works version.
i've had a similar experience as the op with a mini cooper, it was all over the place but it doesnt mean the mini was to blame. Could be down to the tires, driver, service history, etc
The civic does give a planted feeling but i think its more to do with the rear torsion bar in stead of IRS

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
welcome to civinfo. i'd take the civic over the cooper any day of the week!
plus my standard 2.2 seems to eat my mates cooper alive, so sure the 1.8 would do the same :)

·
Reasonable Tenor voice
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He Mini sometimes appeared to jump around a bit on hard cornering, and did at time lose contact and skid. This was the first difference I became a aware of, same corner at about 50 MPH the Mini would slip and begin to complain, the Civic however was on rails; smooth and tight, right on the line.

The roads in West Cornwall are often single track, potholed or at least with loose surfaces. Also being a company car the tyres were the cheapest Q fit had. So may be not a fair comparison

·
Reasonable Tenor voice
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Mini sometimes appeared to jump around a bit on hard cornering, and did at time lose contact and skid. This was the first difference I became a aware of, same corner at about 50 MPH the Mini would slip and begin to complain, the Civic however was on rails; smooth and tight, right on the line.

The roads in West Cornwall are often single track, potholed or at least with loose surfaces. Also being a company car the tyres were the cheapest Q fit had. So may be not a fair comparison

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
If you are really putting your foot down then need to wind the engine right up to the red line at 6800rpm, don't stop at 6,000. It really will pull all the way to the line and then when you change down a gear, you'll find you're still in the VTEC zone. Where it differs to the mini is the mini will have a lot more pull low down.

Also, match for match I'd have though the Cooper version was closer to the Type R than the Type S although the Type S is no slouch.

Edit: I checked. The standard Cooper is slightly slower than the Civic, the Works version is in Type R territory.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,722 Posts

I have noticed a few Type R's in the last few days driving very close apparently waiting for me to make a move.[/quote]
no vtec zone on the 1.8 you get to 6000 rpm and it screams only, the 1.8 engine is an eco engine made for moderate performance and fuel economy ,get to 6000 rpm in the type R then yes it zooms.yes vtec

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
If you get a chance try the 2.2 cdti, in standard tune it's slightly faster the 1.8 vtec, remapped it's considerable faster

1 - 18 of 18 Posts