2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

First longer drive in the Civic

4K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  BobM 
#1 · (Edited)
After having had my Civic for about 2,5 months and covered about 2500 kms (1500 miles), yesterday I had the opportunity for the first longer drive. Not a super-marathon-drive by any means (done some of those in other cars over the years) but still a much longer drive than anything else I have done in this car so far.

The trip was 2 x 300km (2 x 187 miles). Only a short bit of motorway, mostly A roads and some B roads (using UK road type naming). Due to this it took approx 2 x 3h 45min, so it was a good 7,5 hours in the car during one day.

Fuel consumption according to on board computer was 6,2 L / 100 km (46 mpg) with myself and a passenger in the car.
Driving was mainly calm, right on the allowed limit and a few v-tec red line up-shifts thrown in for fun.
Most of it was on cruise control.

So how was it for a drive like this?
Well, of course, it does not compare to a large Mercedes or BMW for this kind of driving, but then I did not expect it to.
But, for it´s size and price I am very happy with it.

Comfort

I find there are 2 parts to this. Seats and noise.

The Civic seats are really good. Probably the best I have tried in such a small cheap car. Comparing to Vauxhall / Opel, VW, Toyota, Renault etc. I had no aches after the drive, no tired back or anything. Better that expected!

The noise is not too bad either. The only noise is from the wide tyres. But it is not too bad and I did not find it making my head tired.

ICE and Sat-Nav

An mp3 disc and standard audio served me well, though a upgrade of Infinites or something is still being planned.
The TA function jumped in a couple of times perfectly with clear traffic announcements, the RDS seeming to work well.

The sat-nav too worked fine. As usual though, if you really know your way around you can find a quicker route, which I did also on this trip. The level of detail on tiny gravel roads way out in the countyside is unbelieveable!

TMC info with roadworks etc also worked as I expected.

When setting off on a drive, starting in an area which is not "fully known" (or whatever the English term is) the satnav only shows direct distance to the destination (i.e. as the bird flies) and the direction with a blue dotted line. After about 1 km when I was back in known territory it started calculating and guiding. A bit strange I think as the roads were on the screen and it guided me to that place (although with a warning that it was not "fully known" area).

Auto-wipers

It rained for most of the drive.
I found myself chaning the sensitivity level between +1 and +2 now and then and also manually going to continous wipe now and then.

Also there is a relay-type clicking to the left (LHD car) which annoyed me when the ICE was turned down.

Power and gearbox

The little 1,8 had just about enough power to overtake. The long rev-range means you can keep accelerating without changing up longer than in many other cars.

As I have noted before however, I would like a taller gearing on 6th. The other 5 can remain the same however. I found myself changing from 2nd to 6th a couple of times and keeping it in 6th down to 55 km/h (35 mph). 110 km/h (70-ish) in 6th keeps it just below 3000 rpm and it pulls nicely from well below 2000 rpm in 6th. Not lightning acceleration of course, but smooth pulling when accelerating on the cruise button.

Cruise Control

Most of the drive was on cruise control.
Of course cruise control is even more usable on a car with auto gearbox (this is my first manual car for a long time and my first with manual and cruise control). But it worked well. The buttons in the steering wheel work great, this is my favorite type of solution for this function.

It does not warn you however when it is not able to hold the speed on a steep down hill slope. Not many cars do - but it is a nice touch.

Overall

Overall I enjoyed the drive.
I had a 2 x 2 hours drive in a Saab 95 the other day - I would choose the Civic any day!
Responsive handling, good economy and very acceptable comfort.

If I did this type of driving all week long I would probably select a larger car, but for a few long drives per year there is no doubt that the Civic is very capable.

Previous info on my car:
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/introduce-yourself/6250-finally-ordered-today-sweden.html

Thanks to:
Online Unit Converter

See less See more
#2 ·
The 46 mpg fuel economy is amazing for a 1.8 petrol, it just shows how good the Honda VTEC engines are. I am quite happy with the 32 mpg I have been getting from my type R as well.

I wonder if anyone has converted a Civic to lpg ? The Civic would be ideal as it has such a huge boot and the lpg tank could go in the rarely used space where the spare normally goes. Lpg would give an equivalent economy of nearly 100mpg on a cost basis.

#5 ·
Nice write up :D

The clicking noise is the windscreen wiper relay, which triggers each time it wipes.

Nothing to worry about, but I agree, can be one of those annoying noises, especially when on auto wipe as there is no set pattern to the clicks :D

Bit like a clock which goes tick tock, tick tock, tick tock - after a short while you no longer hear it.
But if it goes tick tock, tick tock, tick...... tock - you immediately notice :lol:

#6 ·
Nice write-up FWH and seeing that I am getting the same car as you I am glad to hear that you are happy over distances. One of the reasons I am buying the Civic other than the looks is for longer distance driving. Whilst I now live on the 'continent' I and my wife want to travel a little during the summer around europe. I wanted the bigger engine so that the car could do it effortlessly. I am happy to hear that the seats were good for those journeys.

So all in all thanks for the review and making me even happier that I have chosen a great car.:)

#7 ·
Good report FWH. Have had similar thoughts during 10hour trips this summer, and fully agree with you that the comfort is saved by good seats.
See the point with low 6th gear, but the low speed limits in Norway effectively takes care of this problem.

#8 ·
Cruise Control

Most of the drive was on cruise control.
Of course cruise control is even more usable on a car with auto gearbox (this is my first manual car for a long time and my first with manual and cruise control). But it worked well. The buttons in the steering wheel work great, this is my favorite type of solution for this function.

It does not warn you however when it is not able to hold the speed on a steep down hill slope. Not many cars do - but it is a nice touch.
Hi FHW

Is this a hidden function? my 2.2 EX doesn't say when it can't hold the speed on cruise?

P.S. Have you managed to upload a piccy yet? I could send you a photo of mine, as they should look identical (if reversed in a mirror...) :)

LJ

#10 ·
Good report, must admit I have been away from the civic for a couple of weeks on business and had a couple of hire cars.

The only thing I can say is it was great to get back to the airport and into the Civic for the drive home.

To sum it up it's a nice place to be.
And the seats are more comfortable and there are more buttons to play with .........................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.