2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don’t know if this a genuine moan or me been a dimlet, but the engine braking on the Fn2 is really starting to get on my bits ☹ I thought the k20 was supposed to be a really free revving motor? With my mine every time I back off the loud pedal you can really feel the engine braking and see it in the Speedo. I’ve had all the brakes gone over so I know they aren’t binding, is this normal for the car? I’ve also noticed it bogs down really badly when you boot it, I put this down to the hks kit on it dragging too much air. Any advice or ideas would be most welcome, I love the car but I’m finding it a bit of a pain as a daily driver at the minute ☹

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve had mine about a month now and this doesn’t sound anything I’m experiencing. Have you given it a full service like ? I’ve changed most service parts now with only the fuel filter to pull and check the valve clearances in the next week or so . I noticed a slight flat spot but a fresh set of NGK iridium plugs sorted that ( May of been nothing) . I have stuck a tegiwa intake on that’s the only “mod” I’ve carried out my donk wise. I’d recommend a full service maybe cx the fuel filter maybe sticking a standard airbox back on and going from there

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
It could be HKS with heat soak, but I don't think it's any different to any other car. I have Tegiwa box and it's running fine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The throttle response is what makes the engine braking a bit sharp, 3rd gear at 30mph with cruise control on is hilarious and like being on a rodeo horse. It can be tamed a bit with Hondata using rev hang.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Im cruising at 30-33mph in 4th gear and it's just over 2000rpm - comfortable for the engine and ready to pick up if needed. No hesitation when accelerating or decelerating.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's not hesitation, it's a tight engine, when you lift off at lower speeds the engine will slow the car down. It's just more noticeable if you use cruise control in 3rd at 30mph, as the throttle is constantly opening and closing, trying to keep the car at 30mph.

·
Registered
194 Posts
With the hks it doesn't like full throttle at low rpm, you have to be more progressive with the throttle untill the revs pick up. Lows revs and full throttle it will bog and hesitate for a second but I find the hks stronger than a stock air box at higher revs.

As for engine braking mine just seems to roll forever when in say fourth gear at 35 mph, it all depends what gear your in and what rpms your at. At 7,000 rpm in second gear the engine braking will be quite strong compared to 2,500 rpm in fourth gear.

What sort of rpms are you talking about here?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Morning guys, thanks for all your reply’s 👍🏻 The car should have been serviced before I picked it up from the dealer, looking at the oil it’s fresh and topped up, obviously can’t check if it’s had new air filter because of the hks but it does seem they did the service. That said I am going to get my mechanic to service it and fit new plugs etc just to be doubly sure. The HKS is definitely going, I posted about it when I first got the car and I’m going back to stock, had an MG ZR with a cone filter years back that did exactly the same, loads of noise when you floor it but no acceleration 😂 and going back to standard sorted it out 👍🏻 The engine braking is my main worry, it doesn’t matter what speed or RPM your doing as soon as you back off the throttle the engine starts holding back, you can’t coast with it in gear as it just slows right down. It really makes it a chore to drive ☹

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not hesitation, it's a tight engine, when you lift off at lower speeds the engine will slow the car down. It's just more noticeable if you use cruise control in 3rd at 30mph, as the throttle is constantly opening and closing, trying to keep the car at 30mph.
If the engine is tight is this indicative that somethings going to go wrong? 😳 I’ve heard of engines being tight after a rebuild but as far as I know the engine hasn’t been rebuilt. Thanks mate.

·
Super Moderator
1,634 Posts
Morning guys, thanks for all your reply’s 👍🏻 The car should have been serviced before I picked it up from the dealer, looking at the oil it’s fresh and topped up, obviously can’t check if it’s had new air filter because of the hks but it does seem they did the service. That said I am going to get my mechanic to service it and fit new plugs etc just to be doubly sure. The HKS is definitely going, I posted about it when I first got the car and I’m going back to stock, had an MG ZR with a cone filter years back that did exactly the same, loads of noise when you floor it but no acceleration 😂 and going back to standard sorted it out 👍🏻 The engine braking is my main worry, it doesn’t matter what speed or RPM your doing as soon as you back off the throttle the engine starts holding back, you can’t coast with it in gear as it just slows right down. It really makes it a chore to drive ☹
Take it back to standard airbox then fit an HKS panel filter (~£35 from Lings or ebay). Gives a little more noise and gives the benefit of less restriction than the std paper job

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Take it back to standard airbox then fit an HKS panel filter (~£35 from Lings or ebay). Gives a little more noise and gives the benefit of less restriction than the std paper job
Are those HKS any good? Seen mixed reviews.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m scouring eBay right now Wilmo 👍🏻 Looking at £150+ for all the bits 😳 think I’m going to ring round some scrap yards, see if I can find one

·
Super Moderator
1,634 Posts
Are those HKS any good? Seen mixed reviews.
works for me, no oil to mess about with just clean with washing up liquid.

My FN2 is std apart from HKS and has been dyno'd at 215HP but don't know how much the filter contributed to that.

·
Registered
172 Posts
@Mugen_fd2 I had a HKS on my previous fn2 yes I did experience heatsoak at times , other than noise all placebo imho it did bog down and I didn't really rate it but it came with the car

The FN2 I just picked up has a CAI, I haven't taken it on a long enough run to comment but risk of hydrolock in winter months

I'm convinced OEM airbox is the best of the lot, if it's noise you desire drill some holes in the box lol

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
works for me, no oil to mess about with just clean with washing up liquid.

My FN2 is std apart from HKS and has been dyno'd at 215HP but don't know how much the filter contributed to that.
Good results! You have super hybrid because there is 2 versions I found online. Also how good is filtration with it do you think? My car came with k&n.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts