2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my car MOT'd today whilst the service was carried out and it failed:mad:

'Centre Windscreen has a sticker or other obstruction encrouching into the swept area by more than 40mm outside zone 'A' (8.3.1e)

I have got a SmartWitness blackbox due to the idiots that now drive on our roads which is positioned behind the mirror, you can only just see the bottom of the camera!! The tester was apologetic as he described it as a 'petty' ruling.

Never the less it's not all dome and gloom as when i removed it he was quite happy and then passed the car:D

Moral of this post is be careful what you stick to the windscreen and where when it's MOT time

·
Replica man
2,175 Posts
did they make you pay for a retest?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Does sound like you need to go somewhere else - my MOT tester would have called me up and confirmed he could remove it for me.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
Does sound like you need to go somewhere else - my MOT tester would have called me up and confirmed he could remove it for me.
Your MOT tester would probably have the time to as well. its the whole blame culture thing here too, if the tech takes it out so your car passes and then when you put it back it doesnt work, who's fault is it? thats why they dont touch anything. I've seen MOT's failed in the past because the tester cant see the spare tyre as the boot was full of junk.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Your MOT tester would probably have the time to as well. its the whole blame culture thing here too, if the tech takes it out so your car passes and then when you put it back it doesnt work, who's fault is it? thats why they dont touch anything. I've seen MOT's failed in the past because the tester cant see the spare tyre as the boot was full of junk.
oh dear!!!

As the condition of the spare isn't part of the MOT how was the MOT failed :confused:

Typical sales 'person' doesn't know owt' technical :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Sorry Dan....you're gonna have to hold your hand up to this one. Plus i know you would be quick to pick up on anything i got wrong. ;)

As NoNumpty quite rightly pointed out, the condition of a spare wheel and tyre (or actual presence) is not part of the UK MOT test.
If he happened to notice something wrong with the spare, a good tester might mention this to the customer purely out of courtesy, but there is absolutely no requirement to do so.
If a spare wheel is mounted outside the vehicle, then it must be secured properly, but again the condition of the wheel itself is not part of the test.

·
This may be spam
1,504 Posts
I must admit I do not know anything about MOT testing, but IF you have a spare tyre it has to have legal tread limit etc on it otherwise police can fine you.

Now considering that a bald spare is an offence, surely it should fail an MOT.

:worms:

(I think NH Dan got a bit too much flack for his view just because he is a car salesman :))

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Petty petty petty!
Not at all.....
Many people do not know the rules on this, so its always good to have clarification.

Regarding the Police being able to fine you if you are carrying a spare wheel with tyre below minimum tread depth, i would say this could not happen, because its only wheels actually fitted to the car at the time that are checked at the roadside.
Here is a link the the AA on this subject - scroll down to Spare tyre.
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/legal-advice/tyres.html

Just for the record....i have nothing at all against NH Dan, its only friendly banter, you give it out you get it back. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
I must admit I do not know anything about MOT testing, but IF you have a spare tyre it has to have legal tread limit etc on it otherwise police can fine you.

Now considering that a bald spare is an offence, surely it should fail an MOT.

:worms:

(I think NH Dan got a bit too much flack for his view just because he is a car salesman :))
I dont think my spare has ever been checked on an MOT. Certainly not the time it had a split in it. Blew out on the way to the MOT!

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
well, all i can say is that it was years ago and I recall the MOT tester failing the car because he couldnt get to something in the boot due to it being full. may have been lightbulbs etc or needing to change the spare over with a defective wheel/tyre.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts