2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to see a 2008 2.2cdti at the weekend. Was all going well until I looked underneath...
Do these FN2s have a known rust issue, the rear wishbones and parts of the exhaust mounting system were rotted!!

As far as I am aware, the car is still within Honda's 10 Year Chassis Corrosion Guarantee. Has anyone had rusty parts exchanged under the corrosion guarantee?

·
Administrator
17,938 Posts
The rear swings aren't can get a bit rusty but the steel is thick so I wouldn't worry about it too much. At the front the lower wishbone is alloy and not prone to rust. If it's a concern to you, then get it cleaned up and treated.

Exhausts don't last forever and often corrode due to the extremes of temperatures they operate. Don't forget that they are also exposed to road salt/grime down there.

I'd be very surprised if Honda swapped out rusty suspension on that age of vehicle.

Is the vehicle for sale at a Honda dealership or a private sale?

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
I went to see a 2008 2.2cdti at the weekend. Was all going well until I looked underneath...
Do these FN2s have a known rust issue, the rear wishbones and parts of the exhaust mounting system were rotted!!

As far as I am aware, the car is still within Honda's 10 Year Chassis Corrosion Guarantee. Has anyone had rusty parts exchanged under the corrosion guarantee?
The corrosion warranty is for body panels only and the corrosion has to be from the inside out not the outside in.You also have to have yearly corrosion checks for this to be upheld

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's for sale at a used car dealership, not Honda just all sorts of used cars. The salesman assured me many many times that he only gets quality motors in to sell. :laugh2:

Thanks for the advice, I'll get some posts under my belt and I can show you photos I took of the underside.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
It's for sale at a used car dealership, not Honda just all sorts of used cars. The salesman assured me many many times that he only gets quality motors in to sell. :laugh2:

Thanks for the advice, I'll get some posts under my belt and I can show you photos I took of the underside.
upload them to postage and put the links on here as per normal

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Right so here are the undercarriage photos..

Also, as in 3rd photo, there was a sill cover on the jacking point, leading me to the impression that someone has recognized the rust on the sill and thought they should hide it

[/url][/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
That just looks like surface rust which doesnt look bad at all. If its passed its MOT using a reputable place then i would treat it with some rust treatment and underseal it with some Waxoyl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts