2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*thought*

A few weeks ago I bought a used grill from another forum member – Leepie.

Driving to his house I started to worry about the state of my car – it was dirty and damaged from the accident I’d had a week earlier, I also started to wonder whether he had modded his car and what he would think of mine. I comforted myself by the fact I’ve put white OEM wheels on it *he might think there’s some other stuff going on under the bonnet* (there isn’t)..

Anyway I find his street and proceed to drive slowly down a steep hill (I’m from Hull – we don’t have hills) which was a bit tricky and then I spotted his car. It was immaculate, it looked like mine did the day I bought it – so I parked mine a bit further down the street. *do the deal and leave quickly, before he sees your car!*

So I get out of the car and as I’m walking in to his driveway the first thing I spot is the GP rear splitter, never seen one in the flesh before and it looked damn fine *I want one of those* then as the side of the car comes in to view *damn, nice alloys* - Team dynamics PR 1.2 in matt black, *oh, he’s wrapped the roof, nice* - also black, then as I move in for closer inspection of the alloys *wow, BIG brake kit*, then I spot the wing mirrors, also black. By this point I’m almost reluctant to knock on his door for fear of ridicule when he spots my car. Anyway I moved around to the front *Damn, Mugen grill* which I have to say transforms the front end of the car and of course the GP front splitter. I must have stood in his driveway for 10 minutes looking at his car from all angles before I even knocked on the door.

Anyway I plucked up the courage and I gave him a knock, I was greeted at the door by a friendly looking chap with a big smile. He invited me in but before I even stepped over the threshold I started enquiring about his car. Now my memory is a bit vague, but here’s a few of the other upgrades that I can remember – Coilovers, Filled engine mounts, bracing struts everywhere, Mugen short shifter, dials on top of the dash (5 in total), loads of uprated engine stuff (my knowledge of engines is not great) and a rotrex stage 2 supercharger! *ooh I hope he takes me for a spin*

Lee got the grill from his garage, I put it on the pavement, I didn’t want to leave. We chatted for a few minutes and inevitably attention was drawn to my car, “so, what have you done to your car” he asked *Doh!* - “Well, er, I’ve put some white wheels on it” – I didn’t feel especially good at this point but then it came, the question I’d been waiting for.. “would you like me to take you out in it?” *Wuhoo*, “yes please” I replied..

So I climbed in to the passenger seat and the first thing I noticed is how clean his car was. Lee starts the engine and straight away I can hear the difference, I can’t describe it, it just sounded really, really sweet. We pulled out of the driveway and I was amazed by how rigid the car felt (in a good way) none of the rattles that I’ve been experiencing lately.

Luckily, Lee has his own private road which runs down the back of his house, so that’s where we headed. He let the car warm up for 10 minutes and then he showed me what it could do - what couldn’t it do..? His car felt incredible, virtually zero body roll, rigid but perfectly dampened and FAST. He floored it up the rev range and through the gears, one thing that surprised me was that it still rev’s all the way up to the redline, the changer over to Vtec was less noticeable but the power delivery was obviously much smoother. More importantly it felt N/A – not what I was expecting, it was much better.

I asked what power it was making, from memory I’m fairly sure he said around 380bhp at the wheels. We talked a bit and he offered me lots of advice which I was desperately trying to log in my mind whilst fearing for my life – I’m not a good passenger. Fortunately Lee is a very experienced driver – I thought my gear changes were quick!

I’ve been a passenger in lots of nice cars, recently a Ferrari 458, a Mercedes SLS and a Bentley Supersport, now these cars really are as good as it gets, but I have to say Lee’s FN2 felt just as quick and equally well planted on the road (from a passengers point of view) it was an awesome experience that has really opened my eyes to the world of modifying cars.

Before I left I asked what he had in store for the car, turns out he’s having a whole new engine installed which is being built especially for him. He's also in the same group buy as me for the vented bonnet and he's got a feels spoiler on order!

I said my goodbyes, thanked him and left feeling a little bit (a lot) jealous. I thought the drive back would be awful, but as it turns out I was feeling a lot of love for my car, now I knew what it was capable of.:D

Thanks again Lee, it was pleasure meeting you.

·
*Lisa* Alabaster Princess
1,750 Posts
Aw thats so lovely! What a great review and it makes you realise what lovely forum members we have on here :) always willing to help each other and compliment their work! That's why it's the *best* forum :p

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the positive messages..

Lee does have a very nice car BUT never let anything detract for your own car mate! :cool:
The jealousy expressed is tongue in cheek.. ;)

Ahhhhh....

I'm sure your car is lovely too :D
Thanks mate, it's getting there.. my car is now sporting a GP pack, dark tinted fog light protectors, vented bonnet on order, alloys to come and engine mods commence in September! :D

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
It's threads and people like this that make the forum what it is and worth being a part of. Good job guys. :D

Sent by me

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Great write up fella. Like others have said though you should always be proud of your own car. There is always someone that is going to have something bigger and better, no matter what you have :cool:

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
That was a good read mate, cheers :)

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Great write up fella. Like others have said though you should always be proud of your own car. There is always someone that is going to have something bigger and better, no matter what you have :cool:
LOL who beats laney????!! ha ha that car has EVERYTHING

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Thanks for the review, are you a motoring journalist?

Great to meet you and glad you liked what I've done. As has been said nothing wrong with your motor and I would never look down on a fellow petrol heads ride, plenty of my mates have motors that would spank mine :(
Move to Stoke and come live with me, were all pennyless here ha ha!! you would be king :D

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
Cracking review buddy you should do that for a living :) & lee is very helpful :) we have a good chat about our motors & any updates we do ;) glad you enjoyed the ride out they go very well don't they ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ;)

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
haha i enjoyed reading that.

It goes to show why sometimes it better to have a car that is nice to look at, but not as prestigious as say a ferrari, or a BMW M3 - but your stealthing something that can equal these in speed. I think id rather have something that nobody would expect to be fast, rather than a fast car :D

THE_BITCH springs to mind:^^^

1 - 20 of 84 Posts