2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, after picking the lad up from school, my 06 1.8 i-Vtec wouldn't start. I'd been waiting on the car park for 20 minutes with the radio on and the engine off but I can't see how that could have caused it to happen? I had nothing else switched on. While I was sitting there, I got an airbag warning appear as well, accompanied by all of the radio stations losing their signal. After switching the ignition off and on again, these went away.

I had to get the wife to come and give me a jump start and the engine started first time. To be honest, it seemed to be running better! To add to the list, the "one touch" feature on the drivers' door window then flatly refused to work!

I bought a Honda because I wanted reliability! Has anyone else had similar things happen, or know the cause of them? Any advice is appreciated.

I bought the car from a dealer, so at least I have a warranty, should it be anything expensive!

·
Aye Aye....
7,101 Posts
Absolutely no idea! Only had the car since last November. No mention of recalls in the service record.
i cant remember if it is specific to type R's but i would maybe go down to your dealer and find out!

as for the window...i have had that once or twice where they seem to have developed a mind of their own but it fixes itself after a few mins...the windows are quite sensitive though so you may want to clean the window channels with some kitchen roll or something in case its something in there thats causing it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just checked the Honda site for recalls and got "your car has no work outstanding" appear. I'll still be contacting the dealer though! I won't trust the car now, until it's been looked at, as something's obviously not right.

I don't know which is worse, having problems, or having to use the dealer! (They charge for £10 courtesy cars!).

·
Aye Aye....
7,101 Posts
I just checked the Honda site for recalls and got "your car has no work outstanding" appear. I'll still be contacting the dealer though! I won't trust the car now, until it's been looked at, as something's obviously not right.

I don't know which is worse, having problems, or having to use the dealer! (They charge for £10 courtesy cars!).
even if the recall isnt applicable to you, you could get the dealer to have a good look over it, maybe just the battery going...

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Did you have the key turned all the way in the ignition, this does keep lots of ancillaries powered up, not just the radio. It is possible that your battery was low if you do lots of short trips, and 20 mins was maybe enough to prevent it starting.

There is a thread for resetting the windows somewhere i shall try and dig it out. Sometimes happens when the battery dies.

BFM

EDIT: Resetting the windows

Check for outstanding work required on your car

·
Registered
311 Posts
the battery died...it happend in my brand new civic, when my girlfriend left lights on for 8 hours, ignoring the beeping ;-) well...it was the first and the last time ;-)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Phoned the dealer today, who advised me that, since the stereo has a built in amplifier, it drains the battery quite quickly if you don't do long enough runs to charge it fully. Seems a bit strange to fit a weedy battery but, hey ho. Both my drive to work and the school run are each 20 mile round trips.

He told me how to sort the one touch window. You just wind it down, keeping the button held for a few seconds, then, wind it back up, again, holding the switch on for a few seconds. That did the trick. Apparently, airbag warning lights appear when the battery is running low and I'm going to get the errors cleared during the week.

I took the car for a good, long run today and had no problems at all. Fingers crossed it won't happen again. I'll be arriving at the school 10 minutes later in future!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts