2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got the 19" rage alloy wheels for Honda holdcroft..before I fit them myself is there anything I need to do to these wheels? ie tyre pressure or balancing etc...

Thanks in advance

ps. 18" alloy wheels [only 6wks old] with 8mm thread now for sale..only £500!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
They should be balanced if they came with tyres.
Dont forget a really good Wheel wax/sealer like Poorboys, Rimwax or Bilt Hamber
Your manual will give you the tyre pressures

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah they have yokohama advan sport on them and yes they have all been balanced.2 wheels have a couple of weights more on them.:)

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
The most important thing you need to do to them at this time of year is wash them regularly. Leaving road salt on them will gradually destroy the laquer and it will start to flake off. :(

As Robbo has suggested get some form of protection on them, such as Poorboys or Jetseal. :)

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
The most important thing you need to do to them at this time of year is wash them regularly. Leaving road salt on them will gradually destroy the laquer and it will start to flake off. :(

As Robbo has suggested get some form of protection on them, such as Poorboys or Jetseal. :)
Fully agree, keep them clean and well protected with poor boys - don't let the brake dust and salt damage the alloy

Another tip is to keep well away from kerbs .... (oops :()

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah advice taken and thanks to you all.its blowing a gale outside and pouring rain in glasgow/cumbernauld so i had to put off fitting them.may just wait for a nice day couldn't get to halfrauds today .so just used autoglym ultra deep shine polish/meguiars nxt tech wax plus meguiars tyre tyre gel my god they are a work of art its a shame to put them on the car:D......he,he

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
pressure - 38 fronts, 34 rears

When you get Rages fitted at the dealer you get a sticker with 2 sets of tyre pressures. One for fast use and one for normal. The above figures are for normal use.

I have always inflated mine to the higher pressures (42 front and 38 rear), not for fast driving but because the Yoko's have a habit of 'scrubbing' on the shoulders leaving them looking ragged. You can eventually get balding shoulders, like you would from underinflated tyres.

I have just replaced my front tyres and the wear was even across the whole width using these pressures, so they must be OK. The disadvantage of this is the harder ride, but I would prefer to get longer out of my £200 a corner tyres than worry about a slightly harder ride!

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
fitted the rages to the car,but all that glitters ain't gold?aesthetically speaking they are gorgeous looking but after doing 2000 miles in it different story,the ride is unbearable on some road surfaces,road noise is more pronounced,and the limpet like grip is gone,yokohamas?bridgestones?i dont know?got some rattles/buzzing noises in cabin that i never had before,but it get looks that it never got before,so its a stand off asthetics or handling.....the choice is yours i am a vain ******* and want to be a bit different so i will stick with them for the time being,maybe i will get weary of them and sell them on who knows:confused::eek:

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
fitted the rages to the car,but all that glitters ain't gold?aesthetically speaking they are gorgeous looking but after doing 2000 miles in it different story,the ride is unbearable on some road surfaces,road noise is more pronounced,and the limpet like grip is gone,yokohamas?bridgestones?i dont know?got some rattles/buzzing noises in cabin that i never had before,but it get looks that it never got before,so its a stand off asthetics or handling.....the choice is yours i am a vain ******* and want to be a bit different so i will stick with them for the time being,maybe i will get weary of them and sell them on who knows:confused::eek:
or you sure the tyers or runing right way

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
gotta be honest i love my rages and wouldnt be without them, looks are everything and to be honest i dont think the grip and road noise are too bad either, if id wanted comfort id have bought the type s - cant see the point in buying a sports model and expecting it to be quiet

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
point taken with the comfort point i had done 2k miles with the 18"s on it.It does handle better with them on in my opinion more grip.the tyres are non directional but i will check tyre pressures but looking at the tyres they look ok.its the side windows that are vibrating....:confused: on some road surfaces

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
With less air in the lower profile tyres that come with larger wheels, there's less of a damping effect. This means more road imperfections will be transferred to the body of the car.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts