2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips to help me fit my Mugen airbox?

I had a go this afternoon, removing the old airbox was fairly easy, but getting the new box in....nightmare!

I removed the battery, ECU trim cover, and bent both upper and lower intake hoses out the way and managed to get the box in roughly the right position - however getting it at the right angle to clip in on the two rubber mounts was a hassle. In the end I put the car back to stock and may try again tomorrow.

Do you need to remove the scuttle panel or what? It seems to need to be tilted at a funny angle in order to slide in on the two rubber mounts, before putting the bolt in... if so, how does the scuttle panel come off?

I want to try and fit it again tomorrow ;)

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Remove the scuttle pal, its easier

Pull the top plastic trim forward and up and unclip the washer pipe.

Next remove the 6-8 bolts holding the metal trim and rotate it out starting at the battery side.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Getting it in is the hard bit locating it should be just trial and error.
I've had the box out and back in to clean the filter without removing battery or anything else. You've got to push it down onto some rubber bung things. They might be causing the problem. Tiny bit of grease or something to help them on their way.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Vasaline is good for those rubber bungs, used a industrial version i refitted my smoothed out airbox and it popped straight on

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I put fairy liquid on the rubber and the corresponding holes and then pushed down and prayed basically.
My issue is i have the rrc and tdi TB and its torn the oem pipe due to the shape its forced to make between the TB and tegiwa box

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
I took the 2 rubber bungs off the car. Put then on the air box the. Put the airbox in the car. Was a lot easier that way. As they just push down.
Graham

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Just fitted mine after following the advice on here. Thought about removing the scuttle but didn't in the end. My suggestion would be to help prevent scratches on the top to tape a thin cloth over the top part then remove once past the 'threshold' so to speak.

Fair bit of wiggling and pulling involved to remove the lower half of the oem airbox but once it starts to go it pops off nicely.

Offering it up to the car you have to be pretty violent with the air tube flexi sections, bend them as far out the way as possible. Greased up the rubber mounts at the back and side and it went back on a treat.

Lower incoming air feed tube seemed smaller than the airbox so had to fight with that a bit to get it mouth open wide enough.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the end I took out the scuttle, sadly scratched the carbon lid near the back whilst trying to do it *without* removing it all :(. Its not visible though as its so far back!

The vaseline was a good tip as well lol.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Does the box need removing for filter cleaning or can just the lid come off?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
In the end I took out the scuttle, sadly scratched the carbon lid near the back whilst trying to do it *without* removing it all :(. Its not visible though as its so far back!

The vaseline was a good tip as well lol.
Don't worry too much just use a cloth next time to protect it or just get some carbon wrap, after-all the carbon top is a skin in effect.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Carbon wrap doesn't look like carbon though and will stick out like a sore D$$$

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Sounds like a pain to clean the filter then.

Although only do around 3000 miles a year, no more than 4000 so once a year will be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
I did mine yesterday. Cloth oven the top. Jiggle and faff for 10 mins to get it out without removing anything. Same on the way back in. Done.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
What does the Tegiwa sound like Foulsmell?
What about after exhaust and manifold, still hear it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts