2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a cheap, already primed type r rear wing.

Pretty sure it’s a replica. But it fits well enough. And should look fine once it’s on the car.

Few questions about fitting it -

1. the four pre existing bolt holes are all along the main part of the wing. The ends have no fixing points, as they were covered up when the wing was moulded and copied and then not reinstated. Should I get some screw in nut inserts and put them where the single bolt fixing points are on the wing? Do I need the extra support at the ends?

2. Should I get it wrapped black to match the old peeling top of the bubble window? Or spray it body colour?

Couch Comfort Sleeve Textile Wood
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Outerwear Sleeve Automotive tire Grey Collar

·
Registered
Civic mk8 2006 1.8 EX
5 Posts
Hi, I have a mugen rep wing fitted to my mk8 5door and this was pre primed just one coat though when i first brought it. I took it to a body shop to get it primed again and prepped properly and sprayed i was able to get information out of others (sprayers and wrap guys)(i work and study in the industry of motorsport/motor vehicle so am able to get information quickly from buisness and friends and family ) the wrap guys were completely honest with me and said that the wrap doesnt always stick well onto the primed surface and if it does they arent a massive fan of the finish it leaves so in their honest opinion it was best to be sprayed anyway so i had mine sprayed. The wing was fitted on by the bolts and so on but I also used windscreen bonder to hold it on so that either way it wouldnt move anywhere (suggested by my cousin who works within bodywork) however i have heard many others use things such as tiger seal and sikaflex as Dazvti suggested above. hope this helps with your decision :)

·
Premium Member
FN3 Night Hawk Black
137 Posts
If you end up bonding it yourself make sure you keep it well weighed down until it's gone off to ensure a good tight fit.

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
the other issue you might have is the gas struts not supporting the extra weight.
The FN2 struts have a higher newton rating than the standard car and Honda supplied them in the spoiler kit that they used to do.
The only place I could find the stronger ones was Honda, even Stabilus who supply Honda do not list them.
Some have tried the struts from a Merc ML, you should find threads on the forum about that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the other issue you might have is the gas struts not supporting the extra weight.
The FN2 struts have a higher newton rating than the standard car and Honda supplied them in the spoiler kit that they used to do.
The only place I could find the stronger ones was Honda, even Stabilus who supply Honda do not list them.
Some have tried the struts from a Merc ML, you should find threads on the forum about that.
Good advice. The existing boot struts aren’t bad. But I can imagine the extra weight would make them sag.

·
Registered
Civic mk8 2006 1.8 EX
5 Posts
So they are naturally a bit bigger than the civic's however they are a straight swap onto the car but i would recommend having someone help put them on due to the boot may fall on ur head they can be a bit fiddly as you would think but your boot will be ok with the sizing. When opening it will go slightly higher than usual due to the longer struts but not massively and they will take a bit more strength closing it because they are made for the merc so i guess its higher gas pressure in them compared to the civics other than that they work great so i recommend them to anyone. I actually found some of the information on here from others about the struts when i got my wing fitted. hope this helps :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[….] i would recommend having someone help put them on due to the boot may fall on ur head […]

[….] When opening it will go slightly higher than usual due to the longer struts but not massively [….]
Cracking pal. Thanks for this.

A piece of wood or two would be a good substitute then…. For having no mates and a missus who couldn’t care less about cars!:LOL:

I’m a tall bugger, so actually a bit more height would be good, as I find myself whacking my head on the rim of the boot a lot when it’s open.

I also can’t see whether the headlights or full beams are on, as the steering wheel covers up the lights on the dash!

·
Registered
Civic mk8 2006 1.8 EX
5 Posts
I can completely relate to that actually with the boot and steering wheel I find it pretty useful having that little bit of extra room when opening the boot just careful when they're first installed as a few people have said they have flew up i personally havent had this issue but should be all good and also take care when removing the old struts and make sure they aren't compressed when removing as they could fly up take an eye or window I'm sure they wont but just go careful!! The wood should be fine when installing the boot will have to be raised slightly higher than usual tho bit not by much as ive said good luck :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can completely relate to that actually with the boot and steering wheel I find it pretty useful having that little bit of extra room when opening the boot just careful when they're first installed as a few people have said they have flew up i personally havent had this issue but should be all good and also take care when removing the old struts and make sure they aren't compressed when removing as they could fly up take an eye or window I'm sure they wont but just go careful!! The wood should be fine when installing the boot will have to be raised slightly higher than usual tho bit not by much as ive said good luck :)
Noted. And bought.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I supposed you could bond in some heli-coils .Could try it on one off them and see how it takes. I reckon that be pretty strong.
I just thought thought about using something like this.

Automotive tire Font Rim Auto part Bicycle part

Screw in nut inserts would be a lot less hassle than helicoils. The plastic is pretty thick so a pilot and one of these on each end should work pretty well.

·
Heading for the naughty step
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
2,560 Posts
I just thought thought about using something like this.

View attachment 324830

Screw in nut inserts would be a lot less hassle than helicoils. The plastic is pretty thick so a pilot and one of these on each end should work pretty well.
👍, think they is 2 bolts either side. I would do both just in case one fails.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts