2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Need some advice about fitting a set of component speakers with a crossover in to the front doors on my Civic.
I have replaced the head unit already and I want to know before I start the job if anyone knows how the orignal woofers and tweeters are wired in?
Is there a crossover in the door or are there wires coming from the HU connector feeding the Tweeters?
According to the new speakers instructions I'm going to use the woofer wires to connect to the crossover then 2 sets of wires go to the new woofers and tweeters from the crossover.
So I suppose my question is, will the HU be sending a tweeter signal to the old woofers and if not will it affect the new setup?

Hope someone can help?

·
4,255 Posts
So I suppose my question is, will the HU be sending a tweeter signal to the old woofers
Don't know
and if not will it affect the new setup?
It certainly will. If no high frequency is sent to the current midrange/woofer door speakers, then you will have very little/no output to your new tweeters as there ain't none to 'crossover'.

Meter it out. If there is a direct connection between tweeter and mid/lo spkjrs then it is likely that HF is fed to mid/lo spkrs. If no connection, it is possible that mid/lo spkrs are fed from a mid/lo amp and the tweeters are fed from a separate HF amp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try your suggestions M8TJT, my HU has adjustment for speaker X over so I might be able to control the output via the HU?

If anyone knows if the Tweeters are wired directly to the HU multiplug that would be good to know?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update,
Morel Maximo Ultra's front component speakers fitted. Added some sound matting inside the door and around the woofers. The original tweeters were wired from the woofers with a built-in resistor so nothing to change from the standard wiring loom.
The Morel's came with a crossover so I bought the plugin adaptor so I didn't have to cut any of the original wiring harness, just cut off the supplied blade connectors on the tails to connect to the crossover.
The Morel tweeters fitted into the tweeter housing on the top of the doors, not a perfect fit as they sit with one side raised a bit but you can't see this once the trim is fitted back on the door. I used some black hot glue to secure them and this means that they can be removed and all the original equipment can be put back in if required.
They sound really good, quite a bit more bass over the OE speakers and the sound is "cleaner". I have been advised to fit an amp next which will make it sound a lot better so if anyone as some recommendations of the type/make of amp worth looking at I would greatly appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, So you mean on the inside of the trim? Not sure if it would go back on with the added thickness?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will look at that especially on the passenger side which does rattle a bit on the more bassy tracks. Drivers side is fine. I have seen on YouTube people fitting a foam ring around the speakers which I take it compress to stop vibration against the door card?

·
Registered
374 Posts
compress to stop vibration against the door card?
It decouples the speakers yeah. It does have limited affect though yet is noticeable :)

Ideally, you would set a crossover at roughly 70/80hz and run a subwoofer to get the bass out of the door cards (crappy enclosure).

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Yes, So you mean on the inside of the trim? Not sure if it would go back on with the added thickness?
Hi, can confirm it does go back on as long as its not to thick. I did 3 mm closed cell foame on door itself and added same 3mm inside door card. Avoid adding to much around areas with mounting clips.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi, can confirm it does go back on as long as its not to thick. I did 3 mm closed cell foame on door itself and added same 3mm inside door card. Avoid adding to much around areas with mounting clips.
Flipping good job, are you sure all that is necessary?

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
It might be an overkill but would rather do it once than keep taking door card off to find rattles. Did put some on inside door just infront of speaker aswell (10mm thick). Right on top off sound deadening matt. Doors feels more premium once you close them. No bucket effect. Sound from speakers not distorted by rattles inside door. Well worthit for me.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts