2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, hope you're well.

I've my Civic for a few months now, and love it, except for a rattle which I originally thought was coming from the engine bay / dash. I know how irritating this rattle can be, so im hoping that this will help some of those sufferers out!

The noise only seems to occur > 40 mph, in all conditions and all temperatures, and over all road surfaces. It sounds like a metallic / glass type rattle (fragile sounding), and seems to radiate from just behind the radio head unit.

After dismantling the dash a few times, and spending hours looking under the bonnet (with no luck) I decided that it must be referred noise from another part of the vehicle.

I managed to get the car up on a ramp at work, and started investigating!

Turns out, that the rattle was being caused by an exhaust heat-shield towards the engine area (where the exhaust pipe begins to run east-west rather than north-south). Tapping the shield with a finger (or lightly with a hammer!) should sort of replicate the same noise - if this is whats causing your rattle.

I checked the bolts holding the shield in place, and none of them were loose, but I think the profile of the shield had been bent, which was causing the rattle. I'm sure if you wanted to you could replace it, but I just fiddled around, bending it back into shape until the ringing did not occur when struck with a finger / hammer.

And hey presto! Rattle free Civic!

Anyway, hope this may help some of the people here suffering with the dreaded rattle! If anyone has any questions then please let me know and I'll help out if I can!

Andy

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Good old heat shield always making noise, glad you sorted it, I think I may have the same but not had a chance to explore :)

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Glad you found it.

I've mentioned a few times that cars are horrendous for pinpointing rattles. You thought it was behind the dash and it was underneath, and outside.

One for the notebook

·
Registered
122 Posts
Here's another interesting one, we bought our civic when it was just a year old, in that time we have been to the dealer a few times to cure the known creaking and rattling issues under warranty. However, the biggest difference, especially with the creaking noises (not the rattle type) stopped when we had to change the windscreen on the car. It's been creak free since then.

Anybody else who've had their windscreen changed notice any difference?

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
There are a few historic posts about the 8G windscreen and various noises. The fix is to apply extra foam between the glass and the plastic outer lower cover near the wipers.

Didn't affect all Civics though, sort of hit and miss whether yours was affected.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Interesting.

I've got the rattle too which appears to come from the dashboard, but cannot be pinned down.

I was going to ask them to have a look when it goes in for it's first service.

I'll have a poke under neath this weekend and see if I have a rattly heat shield.

Might be a bit difficult since I don't have a jack with the car. What a stupid idea that is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi bobbajob, mine seemed to come from the centre of the dash, at speeds of over 40mph. If you need help identifying the shield let me know

1 - 7 of 7 Posts