2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All.

Thought some of you might like to see my take on the TypeR mud flap idea some are trying in an effort to cut back on the shooting gallery called the rear arches.

I started out with the usual Halfords trim to fit mud flap set which is quite cheap and then made a template up to cut them to. I did mess up with one of the mounting holes, so have amended my template to make another set in time.
I've managed to get both fronts out of one piece of mud flap plastic, so have a full piece left for the rears.

I plan to look at the rears soon along with re-visiting the idea to make up some vinyl templates to cut some clear vinyl protection pieces to added extra protection to the rear arches.

Ian

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you got a sale for the fronts, right now :) Definitely interested in them
Evening Mate.

I wasn't thinking of selling them originally, but I've got two options if people were interested.

1. I can look to see about getting some cut (maybe laser, not sure with plastic) or

2. Offer to send the paper templates for a little beer money even so people can hand cut themselves.

It would be nice to get some accurately cut rather than hand cut with scissors, as that's a pain.

I'll ask some questions.

Ian

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
yeah, i've seen 'em on halfords site today and cutting wouldn't be much of a concern so happy with either option, or attempt to replicate it myself if there's not enough interest to make it viable.

I didn't even think about such a product to stop stone chips until this thread.

Option 2 would have the benefit of allowing the driver to choose any suitable material, so they'd get a choice on colou, material (yep, i've seen carbon fibre is an option online)

·
i-Vtec
2,611 Posts
@coolice
Did you ever get any further with these? Wouldn't mind some for the regular 9G - Not a big fan of the OEM ones; Not only are they £90 but pictures I've seen have them badly mismatching the arch trim!
There was an update on that mudflap thread, guy took them back, apparently there was a difference between pre and facelift 9 Gen. When he got the right ones the colour match was perfect. Actually it might have been on the facebook page I saw that.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@coolice
Did you ever get any further with these? Wouldn't mind some for the regular 9G - Not a big fan of the OEM ones; Not only are they £90 but pictures I've seen have them badly mismatching the arch trim!
Hey Buddy.

No I haven't yet, I have the front template and some Sparco flaps I can cut another front set from for you to match the ones I have on my car.

The rears, not looked into anything yet for there. But I do think the fronts help no end with the stone chips on the rear arches.

PM me your email and I will try and cut you some fronts to try out.

Ian

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Hmm, I've had a quick look at the car and there seems to be a slight difference between the CTR and the Non-Rs regular arch, I've grabbed a picture:

I'd take a guess and say they correspond to the diagram annotations; The Black line representing the approximate cutoff (Once again, a guess) for the non-extended arches - I'd say a cut to the same template, with an additional set of holes, slightly offsett would allow it to fit to a CTR & Non-CTR without too much adjustment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
yep, mudflaps have definitely helped on mine, although i'm sure the venturesheild on the rear arches has also helped protect day to day. Certainly no sharp stone damage to the rear arches which i'm sure is down to the mudflaps and not just luck of not picking one up in 3years.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Evening Mate.

Yes I am, I don't have any here ready to send, but can order in some of the Sparco universal mud flaps as I did in the past and laser cut them out to the design I have. For the handful I have made so far, as I've not advertised them, they have worked well for.

Let me know and I will PM you the price, I was doing them for the cost of the universal flaps + £10 + Postage.

Ian Contessa

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds good to me. I've got a blue fk2 being delivered this week and it'll be reassuring having these
Evening Mate.

Cool, PM incoming with my email and I will go look for the Sparco flap prices in readiness.

Ian Contessa

1 - 13 of 13 Posts