2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My EX is now just over a year old, I've had just about every problem and a serious love-hate relationship with the hateful thing...

Test drove the diesel, was sold the disappointing (only at low revs) jerky petrol as being better.
Rear end went bang after 50 miles, new shock absorbers fitted but they were the old type and so the new type were later fitted in a recall.
Petrol flap, foam then complete replacement, still doesn't open every time especially when wet, and have found it open twice after long journeys.
Squeak, dash rubbing against passenger pillar, been in 3 times still not fixed.
Squeak in silver trim around gearbox when cornering when warm (after 100 miles of a trip) fixed on second attempt.
Air conditioning has recently decided that it wants to make me shiver then boil.
Leak in boot, fixed, but had to be taken back to be taken apart again because a broken clip was loose inside the boot lid.

I'm sure I've forgotten something, but overall it's spent over 4 weeks at the dealer.

I've digressed a bit... Sorry... Anyway, few weeks ago I was filling it with petrol and noticed that there was something stuck to the pointy corner of the lower back window. Under the petrol station lights it looked like a cobweb or bit of hair, but it was stuck and I thought it was probably a bit of glue like the first time the boot lid was put back together.

At the weekend I washed the car and went to polish the glue off, but what I found was that it was actually the lacquer peeling off from the pointy ends of lower boot window.

Yesterday I went to the service manager at the dealership, who had previously spent some of his own personal time in the garage with me, and said that I had had it. What with the petrol cap still not right and the squeak in the dashboard driving me nuts and the air-con going loopy, this peeling lacquer was the last straw and the car had to go.

He spoke to the sales manager and asked me to come back today. With a lot of reassurance that mine is the worst and any replacement would be perfect, we did a good deal and I pick up a new 2.2 Type-S GT next Thursday.

I can't seem to find any reference to the flaking lacquer in the forum. I hope mine is/was unique.

·
Registered
975 Posts
what price did they give you? also call honda customer service at the least you should get a free service

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what price did they give you?
I can't remember the numbers, I did go through them. The paper took a long time to come back from the office and with several scribbles on it. It's more like a clearing of the shortfall in the value of the old car and the current finance settlement value. I'll still be paying about the same amount as I was per month and I've even shortened the term of the finance too.

I do know that if I'd gone elsewhere I would have been £2000 down before I started - and for the hassle and annoyance that the car has been I was prepared to do so - but not without a massive screaming and yelling session and a huge side order of revenge.;)

also call honda customer service at the least you should get a free service
Honda customer service were of little practical use to me. I suppose it might be worth a try though, thanks.

·
Registered
975 Posts
ask to speak to richardl ist your problems and say others have had less trouble and been given a free service

·
Registered
21 Posts
@ HatefulThing

Would like to see a picture from the flaking lacquer....yesterday I did clean the rear window and the lower window. I did recognize a little "light" point on the top of the black plastic. (Hope you know what I mean). It looks like it will peel off. Maybe I´m able to make a picture from that today.

·
Registered
21 Posts
False alert, thank god ! Could take it away with P21S cleansing lotion...don´t know what it was......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh my heavens - that is bad ! Never saw something like that ! Have my car since February 2006 - hope nothing like that happens to it. This fault runs under guarantee - right ?!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, nasty! Your car looks very shiny though, you didn't accidentally treat it with something did you?
It's shiny, but very dusty because the house is up a dirt track, you can see the line where I wiped off the dust with my hand before taking the pictures.

I'm afraid I'm far too lazy to use any special treatments. I wash the muck off with a power washer (just water) then by hand with the SupaGuard wash that came with the car, rinse, and then use Mer polish in the power washer bottle (a bit strange I know but it works great for lazy people, and it's the only thing that's ever been in the bottle) let it sit for half an hour and just use a window cloth or artificial wash leather to take off the wax and to finally dry it off.

That's the only way I've ever washed it, but the last two washes were by the garage, for the two times that the boot lid was taken apart. It was definitely fine the last time that I washed it.

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,172 Posts
i bet the presure washer has done that. i wouldnt recommend these on any car or bike, they do alot of damage which you also cannot see, but in your case looks like you can.

you will love the 2.2 ictdi.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i bet the presure washer has done that. i wouldnt recommend these on any car or bike, they do alot of damage which you also cannot see, but in your case looks like you can.
That's a possiblity, but the back just gets dusty so it's never more than a quick spray from several feet away, and it's no where near the wheels or the flies on the front.

I've had another thought though. There was glue residue around that area after the boot lid was taken apart, and there still is some - the white mark to the left of the flaky bit at the top of the close up picture. I suspect there was more glue on that part of the boot before I got it back, and I wonder what was used to get that off :confused:

you will love the 2.2 ictdi.
Yes, I have driven it several times :D :D :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts