2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to put this in the lights section, but figure it must relate to the ECU or some other control unit to make it work.

I'm just wondering, does the FN2 Type R have the flashing brake light feature when under hard braking? I've only seen in on recent cars to be honest. See it on track all the time, mainly stuff like BMWs and VAG cars.

If not, would it be possible to implement this feature? Such have the brake lights flash when ABS kicks in?

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Its a newish feature that has replaced the old system of hazards flashing under heavy braking i believe

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
Many of the VAG cars have the feature
Possible within the software but usually it's set default to off for the UK market, when you activate it within the coding it usually refers to it being for the USA market, not sure why though, I think it's a useful safety feature.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I've seen it fitted on a Vectra, 3 series and even a GTR in and around Bradford. Flashes 3 to 5 times then stays on every time the brakes are used. Could understand it for when you really slam on, but it looks ridiculous and gets annoying in traffic if it happens all the time.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could understand it for when you really slam on, but it looks ridiculous and gets annoying in traffic if it happens all the time.
Should be active only above a certain g-force.
Agreed, if it's every time, it'd be a real PItB!!
Yep, hence only activating if ABS is triggered.

Problem with only activating at a certain g-force is that in very slippery conditions, you could be slowing down as quickly as the road surface will allow, but the lights may still not flash, as you're only registering a small portion of the g-force achievable in dry conditions.

I don't know how it works on the latest cars, but that's my take on it.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Yep, hence only activating if ABS is triggered.

Problem with only activating at a certain g-force is that in very slippery conditions, you could be slowing down as quickly as the road surface will allow, but the lights may still not flash, as you're only registering a small portion of the g-force achievable in dry conditions.

I don't know how it works on the latest cars, but that's my take on it.
This is how it works on 9G Civic's (The feature was introduced for 2014 MY)... Hazard lights though..

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
The reason they don't use the brake lights is a law that says the brake light must burn solid.

It is known that a flashing light gets attention, but why make something that flashes as a normal operation the warning?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts