2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the introduction of the new ecutek mapping solution for the FN2 I'm curious what the pros and cons are for both.

TDI North have said that ecutek is superior in all aspects. However, I'm still leaning towards the flashpro for its group n map which will surely save an awful lot of money to those who are modding the engine at a slower pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
A wizard is never late...
793 Posts
the way i see it is you can pay 500 for a new flashpro (or 400 second hand) and use the group n base map that is only safe for intake and exhaust, then pay another 350 for a custom map when a header is installed. or pay 500 for the ecutek map, that has more features and save yourself 350 quid. i think the flashpro needs to drop in price a fair bit for it to compete with the ecutek tuning program.

·
Enjoying life
8,533 Posts
Or pay €160 for a custom map ;)

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the way i see it is you can pay 500 for a new flashpro (or 400 second hand) and use the group n base map that is only safe for intake and exhaust, then pay another 350 for a custom map when a header is installed. or pay 500 for the ecutek map, that has more features and save yourself 350 quid. i think the flashpro needs to drop in price a fair bit for it to compete with the ecutek tuning program.

So the group n isn't safe to run anything other than intake and exhaust?
I always thought you could add manifolds, etc to the map.

·
793 Posts
its more of a map so you can fit parts and drive it to be mapped. some people have run it with full bolt on with no problems but i would not want to risk it.

and if you trust e-tuners to map a car from a computer half way around the world for cheap that your choice.

·
793 Posts
im not saying e tunes are bad, enough people run them so it has to be safe. i just dont see how they can get as much out of a car safely without a dyno to properly tune the ecu.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,277 Posts
Personally I'd go flashpro as you can sell it on when selling the car negating the purchase cost if you buy secondhand. Worst case you'll probably lose £20-30 if you buy for around £400 now compared to ecutek's £150 license fee.

ecutek also "locks" you to one tuner otherwise you'd have to repurchase the license again. The extra features of the ecutek are also chargeable, you won't be getting the downshift blip / launch control etc in the £500 price.

With a flashpro you are also free to etune if you wish saving even more in the long term.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always thought the 'best' (most cost effective) way to tune the engine would be to upgrade on the group n. When you have everything you want, then get it tuned 'properly'.
Otherwise it'll cost a fortune to map after every engine mod that is added.

·
4,277 Posts
I always thought the 'best' (most cost effective) way to tune the engine would be to upgrade on the group n. When you have everything you want, then get it tuned 'properly'.
Otherwise it'll cost a fortune to map after every engine mod that is added.

It is mate, group n will be good for cat back and intake. After that I'd start thinking of a custom tune. It will probs handle inlet manifold and TB but might drive a bit lumpy and I wouldn't push it hard.

Exhaust manifold, cams, boosting definitely requires a proper tune.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
In the old days, the reflash ecu was all they had, some ran cams, manifolds, intakes and headers on it...

The Group N map was created with a race header exhaust and intake ...

The group n allows you to mods and drive around for awhile until you get your custom map. With the ecutec you need to get your parts fitted at once and then take it to be mapped...

There is also the flexibility to map and then return to stock for when you resell the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I used to run the Ecutek on my Nissan Juke turbo, mods was intercooler decat miltek non res, injen cai, forge dump valve.
Tuning wise good piece of software, I had the option of adjustable boost as well via. The steering controls. Map was installed by Mark at Abbey motorsports... Only draw back if I wanted to add further bolt on ie injectors or turbo, then the map would need to be tweeked from the tuner, or there's the option of buying the license software and cable was around £300 a few yrs back.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Personally I'd go flashpro as you can sell it on when selling the car negating the purchase cost if you buy secondhand. Worst case you'll probably lose £20-30 if you buy for around £400 now compared to ecutek's £150 license fee.

ecutek also "locks" you to one tuner otherwise you'd have to repurchase the license again. The extra features of the ecutek are also chargeable, you won't be getting the downshift blip / launch control etc in the £500 price.
Not true. You only pay once for an Ecutek licence. When connected to your ECU, another Ecutek tuner can see you've paid for a licence already so you won't have to pay again

·
4,277 Posts
Not true. You only pay once for an Ecutek licence. When connected to your ECU, another Ecutek tuner can see you've paid for a licence already so you won't have to pay again
I was told otherwise but if it's linked to your ECU that's good news :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Hello folks, an old thread and the right one for my questions, please some advices.

At the moment I own a Hondata bluetooth version. Run the Group N map for the moment but my list of mods need for sure a custom map, NA way (Mugen intake, K&N Air Filter, Tegiwa manifold, Custom catback twin exit - Toda / Tegiwa specs). Please enlight me a bit about this hondata vs ecutek remap.
If I understand correctly :

- Ecutek doesn’t have a “hardware” tool as Hondata but you can buy the ProECU Honda Programming Kit which is a obd cable and a usb stick (not sure for what) don’t know the price of this and also not sure if this came in map package price
- also have to pay a one time license fee (which I suppose is paid directly to ecutek)
- have to pay for maps separately
- have to pay for options like launch control / flat foot shifting / blp on downshit / Valet Mode / Anti Start Mode

At the end I didn’t find any conclusive information about the total price of this remap option. I understand that Ecutek is better tuning options for tuners but don’t see the real benefits for me as a final client other than having 4 maps which are very easy to switch between them. Also don't think in terms of power / performance the two options have such big differences.
So, still wonder :

- Hondata price 500£ or 400£ second
- Hondata mapping – first time around 400£ + 100£ for further modifications if do this at the same tuner
- Hondata allow e-tuning
- Total 1000£
- At reselling you get back 400£, so you lose around 400£ - 600£

- Ecutek base package tuning which think it includes ProECU Honda Programming Kit - 550£ at TDI North
- Ecutek single map with all functions - 672£ at TDI North
- Ecutek one time license fee – which I suppose is paid directly to ecutek, right ? – don’t know the price and what happens with this if you sell the car. Is a owner license and you can use it for other cars if you buy a car from their supported car list ?
- Ecutek further mods / price per map – don’t know, maybe also 100£
- Ecutek will allow e-tuning, don’t know when and how ? How can you take datalogs to send them to your tuner ?
- They just released Bluetooth OBD interface which will be available at a later date, don’t know when
- Total, let’s say around 800£ - 1000£
- Selling the car you get back 0£, so you lose all the money - 800£ - 1000£ :laugh2:

So, what’s the point of chosing Ecutek vs Hondata from client perspective ?

·
4,277 Posts
ECUTEK are apparently releasing a similar OBD dongle that connects to their app for data logging etc

Don't think it allows tuning like the FP but going in the right direction.

ECUTEK is more expensive in the long run as you pointed out as you don't get the resale value of the device. Flashpro will work just fine, it may eventually get the same features as ECUTEK but for now (overall) it is cheaper. I wasn't aware that you only paid the license once per ECU which is good news.

I also thought it was pointless if FP did the same thing but after to speaking to Paul at TDi for some time he was explaining the technical side and for the sake of a £1-200 I'd have gone down the ECUTEK route if I hadn't already tuned it via FP, I won't be double dipping.

Apparently FP is a "tack-on" tune, kind of like a band aid that is piggy backing on the ECU and controlling the values etc. Works just fine but you can only change the values that Hondata specify, like a sort of drop down box system. You can change the values but only within a given range that Hondata specify.

ECUTEK is a full tuning suite that apparently lets the tuner access a very wide array of information for tuning purposes and allows custom scripts etc. The example Paul used was engine safety. He can access say the oil level in the sump, if it gets too low he can write a script to force the car into limp mode if detected and if it gets really low it can cut the engine completely.

For end users it may not be completely worth it but for those wanting custom features or specific safety scripts etc it is very useful.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Thank you very much for your feedback.

I understand that from technical point of view is by far more useful for tuners and as you said, they can write custom scripts for safety, deeper information access, changing values more than Hondata allow, etc... but me, as a customer, if I'm unware about the potential of this tool and his limits, how can I ask a tuner to do this or that ?

Also I didn't find clear information about price package and what's included (ECUTEK website is useless and lack of clear informations from this point of view - just contact an Ecutek dealer... I don't have one in Romania and don't see the point to contact another ECUTEK's partner from other country, when they could tell everything on their website ) :

- how much is license fee ? it is locked to the ECU ? what happens if I have problems with ECU and need to replace it ? it is locked by user ? what happens with this when I sale the car ?
- how I access datalogs ?
- e-tune ? which is a MUST for me. I don't have an Ecutek dealer in my country.
- what's the tools that I need, and price of them ?
- etc

I have a lot of questions and it seems that the best way to find out the answer is to send an email to Ecutek regarding costs and other things.
But before doing this I know a lot of Civinfo members already did the move and hope to find the informations from here :).

·
4,277 Posts
I don't believe you can etune yet.

Drop TDi or Abbey motorsport an email, should be able to help as they're dealers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
e-tune option is a grate advantage! i'm running a type-s (fn1) R18a2 Kraftwerks supercharged, the kit is designed for the US version and the mapping support here in EU is 0 (due to past experience on that combination). so the only mapping solution for me was e-tune. done by Vit, one and a half months of development, the result is amazing. no issues on the tuning period or after.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts