2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not really a how to guide, I just want to shove this into one thread. I've got everything ready to do the valve adjustment this weekend, I'm going to repaint the rocker cover too as mine looks rubbish. I'm going for matt blue.
As I haven't got the valve adjustment tool I will be using a 10mm deep ring spanner and a small sharp blade screwdriver, along with my offset feeler gauges. To torque it all I've been thinking of using my torque wrench with a crows foot 10mm, I'll be able to hold the screw in place whilst nipping up. Will that torque up correctly or is it likely to be out?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
I think the final turning force applied to the nut, due to the offset of the crow foot from the centre of the torque wrench will be a little less than the setting selected.

Don't think it will be significant, but what I would do is apply a second tightening (same/correct setting)with a socket on the wrench, then after woulds checking the clearance was correct/had'nt moved, which I don't think it will have.

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a good idea :thumbsup: I might do a test run with the cam cover nuts

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
Just watch out and don't get ANY paint or debris on the inside of the cover as your oil pickup will hate you.

Also torque the cam cover in stages and sequence and to the correct torque as it can bow or distort and not seal properly. Let the gasket do it's job, only a pea of hondabond is sufficent ;)

Reactions: Bones126 and flashy

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rocker cover coming off today for painting, valve clearance will be done tomorrow. Any tips on prepping the cover, getting the old paint off?

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. I'm in town, I'll source some.

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going for 0.009 intake and 0.010 exhaust.

Cylinder 1 - in 1 was 0.005! and 2 was 0.011. ex 1 was fine and 2 was 0.012.

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Think I may have threaded the front right bolt on the cam cover. Will see if I get any issues. The hondabond was a nightmare, I squeezed the tube and the bottom split :facepalm8:. Anyway, here it is.

Attachments

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The inlet valves are easy to do with a very small spanner and flat blade driver. I think the exhaust valves would be easier with the adjustment tool. My aching back :laugh2:

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ta. Haven't started it yet, just making sure the hondabond is cured.

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Everything seems fine, the car runs smoother and vtec is good. :marchmellow:

BTW the crow's foot was a waste of time, too big. The easy way was to nip up with spanner whilst holding the screw with the driver, then using torque wrench to finish. The screws didn't really move when I torqued the nuts up.

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Indeed, cheers. I had to loosen the clutch / Brake reservoir bracket, the throttle cable and bracket on the airbox side. Quite tight getting the cam cover off and on.
Another tip, I put the car in 4th gear and jacked up the drivers side until wheel off the ground. I turned the wheel to get the cam gears lined up for each cylinder. Quite stiff to turn but doable.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts