2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, so day 2 of owning a civic and go to start it this morning and the battery is flat?!?!
Pressed the start button, the dash lights had a fit and you can hear a rapid ticking noise. Seems like there wasn't enough current to kick the starter motor in.
Jump start the car (thank you forum, I made sure i had the keys in my hand and not in the ignition), and leave it running while I had a bacon sarnie, then went for a 20 minute drive.
It started up first time after that, but to be on the safe side I bought a brand new Yuasa battery from here . It has a high CCA and a 80ah, bolted it in and its fine.
Called the delear (sales only on Sunday) and told them what happened, what I have done to remedy and to make a log that this has occured. I can't wait for the to open to replace a battery as i need the car for work.

Soooo....Is there anything I can do to see if I have a parasitic drain problem?
My old battery is now reading 12.6v, I am leaving multimeter on it overnight. When the car was jumped I tested the voltage while running and it was 13.9v slowing climbing as time went on. So that suggests to me the alternator is working is charging. That and I was able to restart the car.

I'm currently reading the 24 odd page thread on this problem. FYI, I have the EX model, 06 reg, bluetooth (tho I havent used it yet).
It was purchased from a dealer that I know had been moving it round to local garages for bodywork and touch ups, and I know that the last owner only did 1000 miles in the last year of owning. I am hoping that these events have just knackered the battery.

Your inputs would be much appreciated. Thank you

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
As an owner of a 2.2 EX 06 reg, I've had many a flat battery over the years.

The dealer first thought the MICU was at fault; the part was replaced under warranty.

More recently, they pinpointed an issue with the bluetooth module, which was replaced twice within a few months. The latest replacement seems to have resolved the problem.

Even if you don't use the bluetooth module to pair with a phone, it has the potential to drain. If the voice recognition in the car is working, it indicates your bluetooth module is functioning (some of them seem to die over time, which prevents the voice recognition working). You could try disconnecting the module, and comparing the drain.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I will give that a try.

Also, to add to my notes above, I haven't left auto wipers of headlights on.
Boot courtesy light I found is also disconnected, so wont be that (and its a ******* getting the cable back up to the light)

Also checked VIN on Honda recall website, and it is not due for recall

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
There are known issues with the auto-lights system and with the bluetooth module that you should have your dealer check, as these are known faults and will be replaced. Even when off these items were known to cause current draw.

Edit: As it's an 06 reg, definitely get these checked as they were more common on earlier models.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick update- went out in the pouring rain and did a drain test. It came back at 0.22a with the bonnet open and the car unlocked. I couldnt find the bonnet switch (using phone light in the dark) so I couldn't lock the car.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Quick update- went out in the pouring rain and did a drain test. It came back at 0.22a with the bonnet open and the car unlocked. I couldnt find the bonnet switch (using phone light in the dark) so I couldn't lock the car.
That's pretty damn high, something must be draining the battery.

I was told that it shouldn't be more than a 0.03A drain, even with the car unlocked, once everything has settled down.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have read that the HFT takes about 0.2a when it fails to shut down. I may just pull the fuse for it, not interested in using it anyway - I prefer not to use a phone at all while driving.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
I have read that the HFT takes about 0.2a when it fails to shut down. I may just pull the fuse for it, not interested in using it anyway - I prefer not to use a phone at all while driving.
If you can, it is definitely worth going through the fuse box and pulling a fuse at a time to see what circuit is causing the drain.

At least that way if you get it repaired, you can point them in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont think I left it long enough. I just watched it till the lights went out in the car and it went from 1.8 ish to 0.2. It was really chucking it down tho so I was kinda rushing. Maybe I need to leave it longer to let it settle down.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
I dont think I left it long enough. I just watched it till the lights went out in the car and it went from 1.8 ish to 0.2. It was really chucking it down tho so I was kinda rushing. Maybe I need to leave it longer to let it settle down.
Maybe, I don't think it should take anymore than ~30 seconds after closing the door. Lights should be out by this time and other systems settled.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went to the car this morning, started on the button. I will keep in mind however that it has a brand new battery so the symptoms may be masked by that. I'm in 2 minds of whether just to unplug through HFT module anyway as I don't use it.
If the weather stays dry I will unplug it and do another draw test tonight

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
Went to the car this morning, started on the button. I will keep in mind however that it has a brand new battery so the symptoms may be masked by that. I'm in 2 minds of whether just to unplug through HFT module anyway as I don't use it.
If the weather stays dry I will unplug it and do another draw test tonight
optimistic lol

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
optimistic lol
Blue skys down in the south, bit breezy tho. Was worried for my fog lights with all the debris on the roads on the way to work - I order protectors on sunday so should have them soon.

On another note - can anyone tell me where the bonnet sensor is so I can unplug it for the draw test?

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
SUCCESS! I tested again tonight, after a full 60 seconds counting it dropped to 0.2a. So I pulled out the HFT module, tested again and it settled at 0.002a (2ma). Thank you guys for all your advice!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts