2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's been a few threads about "flat battery" (had a wee search), just wondering did anyone have any problems with things not working once the car got going again?

Story is:-
I was waiting in B&Q car park to meet a friend, and was sitting with the radio on for about 10 mins,(ignition off, just on for the radio) he arrived I got out left the car door open (listening to footie) we chatted for about 15 mins, he drove off I got in pressed the start button, all I got was a clicking sound and an error message saying (system check):(.

I rang AA they were with me in about 30 mins:D, guy said there was only 10 volts in the battery, got it started and he said thats it away you go, I told him about the error message, he said its just the on board comp thats the way it goes, don't worry about it.

Thing is now, the drivers side window will only go up and down if you keep holding the button (auto wont work).

Also I always keep the wipers on the auto setting, and now the wipers are wiping the screen all the time when set to auto, so I have to switch them to off. :(

Any ideas.:confused:

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks DR.

Ohhhhhh forgot to mention, as regards to jump starting, the AA guy said that you need to REMOVE the key from ignition BEFORE you attach the jump cables, or this could cause some problems,:confused: and this was one of the first thing he asked me to do before he looked at the battery.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Good to know the AA are now getting clued up on the new Civic problems :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update.

Left the car in with the dealer today, they told me that the battery was fine, and that the wipers need a new sensor unit fitted, apparently they have replaced a few of these, I didn't get talking to the mechanic, just the girl at reception, wanted to ask was this related to the flat battery, I'll make a point of talking to him next week when I'm back there to have it fitted.

The strange thing that happened with the window was, I called into Kwick Fit yesterday to have the battery tested, and after he had finished and told me the battery was fine, the window started working again.:D :confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a flat battery last Saturday on my 2.2 , it took 36hrs to charge up and now if i switch the sidelights / headlights on , all the dash power goes off , including the speedo .

Switch the lights off - power to the dash "mysteriously " appears !!!

Luckily i found this glitch out in the day light , dealer time on Monday .

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
When you switch the headlights on the dash lights dim - have you set the dimer control too low

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank's N.N. .............us ignorant Harley riders need keeping right , and after all this is my first car - well that's my excuse and i'm sticking by it :)

No seriously - I just wonder if this setting has defaulted when i took the battery off to charge , as i never knew you could adjust the dimming , thus have never consciously touched this switch .

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another update

Took the car in today to have the sensor replaced, waited 1 hour 45 mins to be told that sensor was replaced but the fault remained.:(

I got to speak to the mechanic and asked him was this fault with the wipers and the window down to the fact that the battery had gone flat, and also asked why the battery went flat so quickly, his reply was that he had never heard of a battery going flat as quickly as mine had done and said that it was probably an electrical fault somewhere in the system.

Upshot is, the car has to go in so they can try and find out what's going on, said it's going to be an all day job.:(

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well my car was back at the dealers today, and am very pleased to say that the problem with the auto wipers has been fixed. :D

After fitting a new sensor last time I was down, which didn't cure the problem, turned out that all it needed was a system reset, I didn't get to speak to the mechanic, but was told that the flat battery had probably caused the problems.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't do a system test first, BEFORE replacing the sensor.:confused:

Ahhhhh well its fixed now. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts