2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I bought a 2.2 mk8 a couple of months ago for my wife. From an older local couple. The car had sat a few months without bring driven but was started frequently. The day we got the wife was sitting in the driveway playing about with all the buttons and heated seats. Next morning it wouldn't start. Put the battery charger on it and it was fine. Started no bother until this morning. Battery charger back on and started straight away. I'm assuming the batteries getting past it and maybe needs replaced. However my wife's not been doing to much running about recently and I wondered if just short runs is not letting the battery charge as it needs to. My neighbour who works on my cars away so can't get him to check it. Anyone had similar issues. I saw a few posts about random battery drain on some mk8s.

·
Super Moderator
2,114 Posts
ive had a few Hondas over the years and they don't like using anything electric without engine running
it is possible it just needs a good run

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I thought for def the 1st time that's what it was. But I've been telling her it needs a decent run about more often. Know what she's like will be running about with the heat on full, heated seats at max an radio on full.

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Being a large diesel lump in the middle of winter, It'll be wanting cold cranking amps.

Generally, I'd say that if you're having to charge a battery to keep it running with general use (e.g. trips over ~5 miles), it's probably time to replace the battery, or keep some jump leads in the boot ;)

I can imagine it's probably still on the original battery?

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wife's just away out in it now. I went out to start it and it went straight away. As it's the wife's car I'll probably sort a new battery out. Might pick up one of them jump pack things.

·
Super Moderator
2,114 Posts
keep a eye on it
either buy 1 from honda or wait for eurocarparts to have a weekend offer on with discount special on batteries
stay away from halfords
I was in there today picking bike up for my granddaughter and talking to someone buying battery the price there charging is daylight robbery

·
Super Moderator
2,114 Posts
and start from £101 in halfords
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-batteries/halfords-hcb096-calcium-12v-car-battery-4-year-guarantee
or genuine honda as already said
https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-civic-2-2-diesel-battery-2006-2011/
to be honest I think the 1 for honda is a no brainer
at the moment euro car parts have there batteries at inflated price as they have the xmas75 code which brings it back down to around normal price
some parts arnt the best quality from ecp

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes think your right. Going to be ordering the egr gaskets I'll get them at the same time. Plus the extra civinfo members get from Cox will take a wee bit off the price

1 - 13 of 13 Posts