2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like a tool I managed to drain the battery a couple of weeks ago.

It may be wholly unconnected but a short while later I suddenly noticed that the steering had become considerably lighter. The car now offers little feedback/resistance as I steer and the manner in which I can turn the wheel effortlessly from lock to lock suggests something isn't right. The car is still driveable but the whole character of the steering has changed.

I checked the tyre pressures and all seem OK, there is no visible damage, and apart from the speed humps all around my village, I haven't whacked anything.

Has anyone come across this? If it turns out to be a serious fault what are Honda like for carrying out repairs based on "satisfactory durability"? My CTR is nearly five but it's only done 15,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
I dont mean to hijack your thread as my question could be related to your issue and it may be a totally novice question , but would a dead battery cause a fault with the EPS ? I ask this as it's electric and wondering if a short or a dead battery or a change of battery could cause an EPS problem ? Or would the op eps problems be a coincidence ?

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I asked the dealer to take a look and they're telling me that they can't find anything amiss with the steering. Seems they only did a visual inspection/checked the steering fluid etc.

Their only recommendation is to change the front tyres, which are apparently quite low on tread, though I believe they have only done 15k and 10k respectively.

They apparently didn't run a full diagnostics as they don't think it's worth it, so I don't know if any error codes were generated. I thought this would be standard procedure but seemingly not.

Is it worth getting two new boots? I assume other places will beat their price of £270 for two Bridgestone Potenza S001s fitted? I am minded to try something different as I haven't had the best of luck with these tyres (3 punctures early on and the tread apparently on its last legs after 15,000 miles of mostly motorway driving). The dealer did offer some Nexens for £80 apiece that are apparently "really good"...but I'm not sure it's the right way to go.

Any opinions appreciated.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,788 Posts
I don't see how your tyres suddenly caused this to happen. You could easily swap the front and back tyres over to rule this out though.

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I purchased two new boots for the front wheels (Bridgestone SL001s: to be fair, one had less than 3mm of tread on the inside) but was disappointed to see it made no difference to the steering, which still feels "baby light": much lighter than it used to.

The car has been to the dealer twice now, they've carried out out a "standard" check and driven it round the forecourt twice, and are adamant there's nothing to worry about.

They didn't carry out a "full diagnostic", however, as they apparently didn't think it was necessary...and would cost £75.

It could be me, I guess, but I'm quite sure the steering wasn't so light that simply hitting a pothole would turn the wheel three inches to one side and you'd need to be near full-lock to feel any resistance. I'm now tempted to pay and have them hook it up to the computer.

I've driven the thing for four and a half years, so am quite sure something's changed: what would you do? Can the weight of the steering vary car by car, or change over time?

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
I just bought my FK2 1,8I Vtec last weekend and had to replace the battery since the previous owner had had a amplifier and subwoofer in the back that drained the battery:facepalm:

This resulted in various lights such as steering, engine and more in the dash coming on and off. I tried recharging the battery but the only thing that made it go away was a new battery:D

So when you say you drained the battery I thought of this:D Mine really behaved weird with the drained battery so I can relate to what you are saying.

Edit: The car didn´t drive well and didn´t feel right till it got a new battery.

Rune

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: well, I can safely say the new tyres made zero difference.

@Syx, I would like to try disconnecting the battery but I haven't got a clue how. I'm trawling for a guide now. Oddly, despite being near-drained and refusing to start a few times, the battery check light is showing "OK" and the car is starting fine now.

As well as feeling generally light/loose, there is some "play" in the steering wheel at its centre: there is no resistance until turned three/four inches to either side.

Saying that, though, the car is still perfectly drivable and the Honda "healthcheck" found nothing of note, despite it being quite obvious to me that something had changed.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts

@Syx, I would like to try disconnecting the battery but I haven't got a clue how. I'm trawling for a guide now. Oddly, despite being near-drained and refusing to start a few times, the battery check light is showing "OK" and the car is starting fine now.

As well as feeling generally light/loose, there is some "play" in the steering wheel at its centre: there is no resistance until turned three/four inches to either side.

Saying that, though, the car is still perfectly drivable and the Honda "healthcheck" found nothing of note, despite it being quite obvious to me that something had changed.
Simply get a 10mm socket and undo the bolt contact where it meets the body :)

·
Premium Member
859 Posts

Play in steering would normally mean track rod ends or something a miss with the rack , did honda check the rack and components connected with the electric power steering ?

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update.

I tried the car at a second dealer and they recommended a full diagnostic (plug a mobile device in and see what the software says, I guess).

Lo and behold an error was found, the result being that the "steering angle sensor" was modified/updated.

The net result is that the steering does now feel a little more assured, though I still reckon it to be lighter than before this issue began. Perhaps that's my perception? Unless I can find another CTR to test I guess I won't know...and the dealer didn't have one on site. I always thought the steering of my CTR was "solid" with good feedback, whereas now it feels "light" with little feedback.

They recommended that if I'm still not happy I should have all four wheels aligned...but they didn't feel inclined to recommend it, with the engineer saying he felt the steering to be OK now.

I'm thinking of leaving it there pending any developments.

Anyone know about the steering angle sensor and how it can come to require a "troubleshooting update"?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Exact same problem , Steering was nice & tight then out of the blue all Sloppy & light with massive play from the centre position , felt like a new car before this and now have to drive so carefully , Hope someone knows what this is I've asked 3 times before on here but no Reply ???

·
Registered
7 Posts
My car is 2010 Type-S 2.2 , also it comes and goes , nice and heavy then loose and unpredictable , has stayed loose for quite a while now ??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts