2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Honda Civic 1.8 EX new December 2007 and covered 12000 miles has in the passed three months failed to start after 5 days of not being used. Local Dealership advise no excessive voltage leakage during periods of non use and battery in working order. AA say drain is over the norm and battery u/s. Will shortly not be using the car again for two weeks and fear that I shall be unable to start it again. Anyone with similar problems?

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Speak to the dealer and tell them what the AA said.
IMO..Its probably due to not driving it enough in the dark winter months..the battery never gets charged properly with the lights and heater etc....
How far do you drive it before parking?

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
wondering
are there any performance batterys out there?
im appauled at mine also

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Turn off the auto headlights and wipers when you park up, as they still place a drain on the battery even with the ignition off.
I've read that here before , I think, but surely that's a design fault, isn't it?

You wouldn't want the screen wiped while you are parked, so the ignition should completely isolate those circuits. I heard before (not here) that some alarms produce a drain that flattens a battery in a couple of weeks e.g. when you get back to the airport from hols. :???:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your coments - Honda have now agreed to replace the battery - but will take yor advice re deactivating auto-lights and wipers.
Morgie

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
You are certainly not alone Morgie!
Good news that they will be replacing the battery :)

To see a full list of everyone's battery problems, use the 'sort by prefix' function near the top of the page when viewing the 'bugs, faults...' forum
One of the options is 'flat battery' and it will then show all the threads on the subject :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Civic 5dr EX

:(Thanks for your comments - Honda have agreed to supply a new battery but should it fail I shall take your advice
Morgie

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2006 Civic 2.2 Diesel last week. The battery went completely flat. Had to call out Green Flag who were very surprised the battery had gone flat on a Civic! Took it into Honda and they carried out a ECM (that's what they called it) update. They mentioned that the battery was being drained when the car was off and key was removed and that the software update would cure the problem.

Have been running the car since the update for over a week and all seems good so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Honda Dealer told me that an engine computer update was not required although they have done so on other Civics. They have now agreed to change the battery - should that fail later I may consider a non OEM battery. (Bosch) Present problem for me is a healing ruptured quadricep muscle and it may be another two to three weeks before I am able to drive again. :( Prior to purchasing the Civic EX 14 months ago I drove Volvo S40's and had three new ones over nine years - never had a problem! :D Thank you for your comments.
Morgie

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Do you have the panoramic glass roof ? A wire fault was the cause of my continual flat battery. It's a known Honda fault that is easily fixed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
After being plagued with flat batteries before and after Christmas I have been doing some research on the matter as my dealer did not seem to know how to proceed or what to think.

This effected me badly as I work on an offshore oil installation and the car is garaged for 2-3 weeks at a time

And I will state publicly I believe I have found where the problem lies.

Its not short trips

Its not panoramic roofs

Its not oil pressure sensors needing a firmware change

Its not Honda using too low an amp hour battery

Its not auto light and auto wipers causing a slight voltage drain.

It IS ALARM and that big lighthouse of a flashing LED.

The voltage drop if you dont alarm the car is negligible but if you actiavte the alarm its a whopping 0.2-0.3 of an amp.

I have made alternate arrangements to secure the car when I am away from home and proved my theory. I left it for 6 days alarmed and the battery was as flat as a pancake with only 40% charge. I left it non alarmed for 21 days and the car started first time with 95% charge capacity in the battery.

MY only worry now is a holiday car park in summer time :(

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Once a battery has been so flat that it won't turn the car over it will of suffered damage.

Recurring flat batteries will only aggravate the problem.

To be honest, a fully charged battery in good working condition should not go flat on a .03 amp drain within 6 days.....not going to happen.

My advice, replace the battery with a new one, either a Bosch S5 or if you are feeling flush a Bosch S6 (AGM battery - Can take extreme deep cycles).

If you've had more than a few flat batteries I'd say give up on the one you have.

As much as I don't like quoting old publications, Auto Express did a battery showdown where they simulated a 3 week discharge:

'To gauge each battery’s true power reserve, we wired each one of them up to a high output headlamp bulb, and timed how long it took for the light to go out. After recharging, we then deliberately discharged the batteries by roughly the same amount that alarms – and other electrical systems – do in two to three weeks. We then checked the units would still deliver 200 amps – which starter motors typically require.To gauge each battery’s true power reserve, we wired each one of them up to a high output headlamp bulb, and timed how long it took for the light to go out. After recharging, we then deliberately discharged the batteries by roughly the same amount that alarms – and other electrical systems – do in two to three weeks. We then checked the units would still deliver 200 amps – which starter motors typically require.'

So on the basis of the above paragraph you are putting your cars battery to a bit of a test each time you come back to it, and the battery ain't liking it.

Plus you have the engine which requires the most kick and has all the toys to boot.

·
Registered
125 Posts
To be honest, a fully charged battery in good working condition should not go flat on a .03 amp drain within 6 days.....not going to happen.
I wish it was 0.03 amp that's about what it was with the car unlocked after the interior light went off.

Alarmed it was averaging over 0.1 and peak drain was about 0.3.

Recurring flat batteries will only aggravate the problem.
My 21 days marathon where the battery held 95% of it's charge was with a battery that had previously lost enough charge for the start relay not to be able to turn the engine on two separate occasions.

I am only stating my experiences:rolleyes: I do not profess to be a qualified auto electrician and I am not really interested in an argument on the matter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does the car have hft? if so multiplex unit can take up to 15mins to shut down so a draw will still be present and incorrect reading taken. were the tests on the car taken when the battery was at peak condition if not then you may also get incorret readings if you experiance that the car has a higher current draw than that of paracitic (0.003-0.005amps) with the car armed correctly and the multiplex unit in sleep mode then there is an excessive draw on the battery.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts