2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

When i got my 2014 1.6 i-dtec last year it had a battery issue and the garage popped a new battery in for me. Unfortunately, given the lockdown restrictions i've not been out much and only used the car 3 weeks ago for a short hop to get shopping and back home.

Tried to fire it up last week and the lights on dash came on then nothing. This week no lights at all and i needed the key to manually unlock the door!

I've purchased a ctek mxs 5.0 trickle charger and wondered do you need to remove all car cabling from the battery, whilst it is still in the engine bay and then attach the clamps, or can it leave all car cabling attached to it and just connect the ctek?

I'm also stuffed if i can see which side is positive and which is negative on the battery...

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
assuming it's the same as the 9gen typeR, positive is the connection closest the front of the car. should also be marked on the battery which is + and -.

If for soem reason it doesnt, follow the thickest cable from one of the battery posts to the car body; that one is the negative. should be a short run that'll connect to the metal just above headlight infront of battery (it is on my 9g typeR)
you can also use your volt meter. if it reads a negative voltage you've got your probe wires the wrong way around on the battery.
ANNND being ctek, i'd of thought it'd tell you if you have your connections reversed.

edit: yes you can leave the car cabling connected. you dont need to remove. If you do need to remove the battery for whatever reason, disconnect the negative side first & reconnect last.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's awesome, thanks. Was surprised when it was as flat as it was as it had a 130 mile round trip in Mid-March and had started fine fortnightly after that but last week; nada. Will get it charged up tomorrow and cross fingers the damage isn't irreversable.

·
4,233 Posts
When you connect the charger, connect the negative lead to the car chassis as an earth NOT the negative terminal of the battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stuck the charger on, on saturday morning at 9, by 1030pm it was at 80% so left it on over night and it fired up no bother yesterday morning. Took her for a spin out and did 40 miles of varying revs. Fingers crossed she holds the charge.

Thanks all for your assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts