2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Oook
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya
Well, I went to KFC after work today (only a 15min drive as no traffic) and, as I waited for the mini fillets to be cooked, I sat for 10 min with the ignition off, stereo and vanity light on, and that's all.

When I went to start it, it wouldn't even turn over n the starter, I turned the auto lights off and the stereo off and still no joy.

With my old car (fiat idea) I regularly sat in the car for an hour with stereo and lights on and started first time.

Is this likely due to a faulty battery (in which case I can get a good new one cheap from a friends husband)
A dud alternator, in which case it's a warrenty job,
Or just the Honda is ***** with the battery?

Ta in advance
Dan

·
Oook
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I get the battery changed and if that doesn't work get the altinator checked?

It wouldn't start when I bought it... And they jumped it...(don't know why I didn't demand a new battery then and there...)

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
on the top of the battery there is a chemical light check it if it is green after 20 minutes ride even after long rides if it is not green that means it need changing now ( also if u r only driving the car for short journeys this might mean u r not allowing eneough time for. attery to be charged fully ).

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
It wouldn't start when I bought it... And they jumped it...(don't know why I didn't demand a new battery then and there...)
If they had to jump start it when you bought it the battery was already on it's way out. I would demand a new battery from them.

on the top of the battery there is a chemical light check it if it is green after 20 minutes ride even after long rides if it is not green that means it need changing now ( also if u r only driving the car for short journeys this might mean u r not allowing eneough time for. attery to be charged fully ).
The indicator only tells the health of one cell in the battery - the other cells may be OK or not and you have no way of knowing.

·
Oook
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi 2.2 it's normally 30-45 minutes each way to work, it was just the shift I was on...
I also do take it for long drives every couple of weeks:)

I'll give holdcroft a call after ive done a load of paperwork to reapply for my job:-(

·
Oook
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that is sorted...
Got a new battery with 3 years warranty, for £55
Halfords told me the starting capacity was only 47%, which apparently isn't the worst they've seen...
And quoted me £80 for a new battery, plus fitting, so shopped around and got a decent one from a reputable company for £55 fitted.

Wasn't worth all the added agro to argue with the dealership, but sorted now!
I hope.

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,182 Posts
A battery conditioner would have sorted it.

·
Oook
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I diont even know what a battery conditioner is,
But as the car is exactly 6 years old, as is the battery (was its birthday today!) I figured it could do with changing!

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I diont even know what a battery conditioner is,
But as the car is exactly 6 years old, as is the battery (was its birthday today!) I figured it could do with changing!
Mine is on a 56 plate and the battery seems to be coming to the end of its life, especially with the colder weather. If I leave the car for more than 2 days without starting up it struggles to turn over.
Time for a new car I think :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts