2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has been aired before, and quite recently, but is anyone else experiencing this problem? (mine is a 57 plate and covered 1300 miles)
If I hold the revs in second at about 2500 or third at 3500 then try to accelorate fast there is a split second when nothing happens, then it picks up and goes.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I know this subject has been aired before, and quite recently, but is anyone else experiencing this problem? (mine is a 57 plate and covered 1300 miles)
If I hold the revs in second at about 2500 or third at 3500 then try to accelorate fast there is a split second when nothing happens, then it picks up and goes.
Never noticed this in mine!

What kind of fuel do you use? (I have used BP Ultimate since day one)

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
This is surely not a type of fuel issue,,but since you ask, I use 95ron from Tesco normally, and 95 ron is what is recommended.
My last car was a Mazda RX8(230),
If i used 95 ron fuel from Morison's after filling up the tank for the 2nd time i noticed a similar flat spot as you described.

B.P 95 ron was Ok, but i found BP Ultimate was best.

I would never use fuel from a supermarket forecourt (of coarse this is just my opinion)

I could be totaly wrong but try filling up 2 or 3 times with B.P Ultimate

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Other people who have had this sort of issue with other makes of cars have been advised by their dealers that every so often they should fill with a tank of Shell V Power or similar to clean through the engin.

They say that the stuff added to supermarket fuel causes this issue and that giving a clean through with that stuff solves the situation. I have to say that from past experiance filling it up every now and again with V Power or similar does seem to cure the flat spot issue.

If you are concerned that it could be something else then have a wee word with the guys at the dealers or you may want to try a tank of something else first.

·
Registered
40 Posts
from what ive heard, i think you may be referring to a lack of throttle response. since the FN2 uses drive by wire throttle instead of cable then sometimes when you hit the throttle theres a delayed response since the throttle is electronically controlled and doesnt always respond to your wishes straight away. also, there isnt much action at those low revs ;)

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Bonzo!
I was wondering if your R still has the flat spot problem?

I took mine for a drive this afternoon i tried what you mentioned above and mine was perfectly fine!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I couldnt agree more with your comments.Although i have a deisel 2.2,i have used BP ultimate in my car on several occasions,the deisel version of course and can honestly say it runs much smoother,has a little bit more poke and the most important thing for me is it does 8-10 miles to the gallon more.

·
Registered
46 Posts
the flat spot thing has happened once before to me, never happened again tho, i try to use vpower. my car runs really rough in the morning and is really jerky in 1st, 2nd etc till it warms up and my tick over also seems high until warmed up also thought it was just me but the wife notices it aswell, anybody else have this problem?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yes I've noticed this on my 57 plate Type R GT, it must be down to the DBW system, that and the cold. It most probably is nt that accurate with the pedal release and the cold. The funny thing is that it does nt always happen, but sometimes its more noticable from cold.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes I've noticed this on my 57 plate Type R GT, it must be down to the DBW system, that and the cold. It most probably is nt that accurate with the pedal release and the cold. The funny thing is that it does nt always happen, but sometimes its more noticable from cold.
This is probably true - another thing to remember is that the manufacturers have to meet specific noise and emmision regulations which vary around the world. Engines are usually tested for these regulations at certain rev range to ensure consistency. Therefore the engine may be fuelled slightly weaker at that point via the engine management system.

Motorcycles suffer noticable more than cars from this issue as they do not have a huge flywheel keeping the engine turning and the revs at a constant level. This is why chipping, re-mapping and re-jetting can make such a vast difference to horsepower and driveabilty :rolleyes:

This holding back as described above could be due to this reason and would vary according to atmospheric conditions on the day :?: This would mean that if the engine was running slightly weak at say 3000 rpm and you went out on a cold damp day, the air would be more dense and make the mixture even weaker.

·
Registered
46 Posts
the thing is my other cars have been ok, this is my 1st honda so does this mean its a honda thing running a bit rough when starting up or does my car need looking at? like i say tho once its warmed up after a few mins its fine :confused: do the ep3's run a little rough when starting up in the cold...

joe

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
the thing is my other cars have been ok, this is my 1st honda so does this mean its a honda thing running a bit rough when starting up or does my car need looking at? like i say tho once its warmed up after a few mins its fine :confused: do the ep3's run a little rough when starting up in the cold...

joe
any car will run rough for a short period being started from cold
it is perhaps more noticeable in cars with DBW

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
fellas, the truth is the throttle response, no matter how much power the car has, having the car driving smoothly at 2500rpm, and then stamping down on the accelerator will, no matter what, take a split second before the engine engages to answer the demands of the driver. Also the throttle is electronically controlled. To beat this tiny issue, and to get a bit more bite, on hand when neccessary, you need a performance air filter. I took my civic to K+N in warrington, and at the moment, the Typhoon kit - k+n's best model of induction kit is in production in America - they used my cars engine bay to make the prototype and used my bay as a blue-print. The kit should be developed by christmas, on the rolling road it gave me a power hike of 10%. hope that helps

·
Registered
587 Posts
My car did it again today on around about, I was driving and slowing down, then floored it to get infront of an oncoming car and the car held back. I had to drop a gear to correct this, I'm not certain if it was down to being in the wrong gear or the flat spot. The funny thing is that when I tried to reproduce the problem by driving at low revs and flooring it, it did nt happen again! Its strange, dont mention the fuel because I've been using Esso Super unleaded.

In my previous car without DBW they car would of plattered slightly if I was in the wrong gear, and not hold right back! Its got to be the Drive By Wire set up causing these issues!

·
Registered
46 Posts
sorry to drift off the flat spot abit but in the morning what are peoples cars ticking over at when first started from cold? mine is at 1800rpm seems high? :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
it varies each day mate, ticking over depends on how cold the car is, and whent the last time it was driven. say cold morning, after the night sitting in the drive, my type S will tick over around 1,500 - 1,700rpm for around 15seconds, then return to 1,000 or less, ive seen mine go down to around 600 at the lowest.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I did start another thread ages ago about a flat spot in my Type R, dealers were stumped............computer says NOOOOOOO so they said all was as normal and go on a driving course wont go into the whole story..............
Since then Ive tried turning off the VSA when I get the flat spot and it does seem to iron it out and just recently stopped going to supermarkets for petrol even though it hurts and using higher octane which I must say has made a difference to my wallet as well but the car is much better........its in for a service on Monday Nov 5th and they said it will go on diognostics as I requested and its a new dealer the others are .......well talked about them before too .........so looks like no cheap fuel for us Bonzo huh
good luck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts