2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Heavy Footed!
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been back and forth to Honda for the past 9 months with this flashing HID light!!!

The bulbs were brought from Mr JP when i first got the car too

They cant put their finger on what it is, or how to solve it!

Anyone have any idea from this vid?

Flickering Light

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
Have you tried swapping the bulbs around mate?

If the problem follows the bulb (switches sides) it is more than likely a bulb problem - then PM me.

If the problem remains the same side it points towards failing ballast or more common a loose connection / poor contact.

HTH

·
Heavy Footed!
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will swap them over tomorrow, as its a pain in the ass to take the air intake off lol

Thanks Mr JP

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
I've known this happen on a mates DC5, exactly the same thing.

It was the bulb if that helps motivate you to give swapping them a try.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Had this myself with aftermarket HID.

1st time it was a failing ballast and a new ballast fixed it.

2nd time I never really chose to correct it but I'm going to say ballasts based on my 1st experience and the fact that HID requires a constant voltage arc to maintain the arc reaction and thus the light and so logically a drop in voltage would cause a momentary loss of arc.

Try swapping the bulbs over, left into right and right into left. If the same light still flickers its probably the ballast on that side.

·
Heavy Footed!
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE!!!!

Honda have had the car overnight, and they have "seen" the fault, and managed to replicate it too.... By turning the steering wheel to a hard left, or hard right.

They have forwared the video to Honda, and they have given them some tasks to sort out.

They believe it could be a pocket of air somewhere, faulty inverter or ballistics.

Not got the car back yet, possibly keeping it over the weekend, but will keep you posted!

Im just glad they have managed to replicate the fault! At one point, i think they thought i was lying about it!

·
Heavy Footed!
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just over a week later, and i still dont have my car back, Honda still have it :(

Im currently nipping around in a 11 plate Jazz!

They cant fix the fault, replaced wiring, ballists and still no joy. Their last hope is to replace the fuse box, and hope for the best.

Getting fed up now!

·
Ezermester
151 Posts
I had this problem with OEM HIDs, and it seemed it occured when cornering on a rough surpace or VSA kicking in. The dealer replaced the ballast, but it was just a bit better.
For a month now I have my own new DRL control circuit which powers the headlight via extra relays, so it bypasses the fusebox and it hasn't occured yet. So I suspect the fusebox, maybe some sort of voltage drops, or relay fault (which is integrated in the box). Or it is just a coincidence, maybe a bad earthing point.

Andrej

·
Heavy Footed!
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, its gone from bad to worse!!! Honda have had my car for 2 week now, and they still cant fix the bloody thing!!! They have replaced the fuse box, changed the wiring, the ballists, head lamps etc and still nothing!!!

They have now called for a Honda tech guy to have a look at it! He's coming all the way from Swindon Honda HQ to hopefully fix it!!!!

I cant take it any longer! I WANT MY BABY BACK!!!!

Fed up of this Jazz now!

·
Heavy Footed!
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just received a call from Honda, i may be getting the car back today!!!! Hurray!!!!!

May..... just awaiting on a call this afternoon. God i hope i can get it back!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow, that's a long time for a set of lights. Hope you get it back soon. It's good that they are fixing it and not blaming the aftermarket bulbs as some dealers would try to fob you off.

·
Heavy Footed!
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still not fixed, ringing Honda HQ tomorrow morning, been going on far to long! Not impressed!

·
Resident Civinfo Nutter
4,451 Posts
Ring them to fix mine too haha

·
Heavy Footed!
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reading through other threads, I'm not the only one! HID and flickering beams seem to be the "in thing" now!

A pain in the butt tho!

·
I-VTEC everyday ;)
562 Posts
Managed to get this fixed?
My one flickered and then right side turned off, then i fully turned the headlights off and on again and the left side is off but the right side was on :-S
I was driving around a little and BOTH of then turned off I kept turning it on and off n managed to get one back on to drive home, going to swap the OEMs back in to see if problems occur, so annoyed!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I seem to have similar problem. Mine are standard D2R bulbs and offside keeps going on and off. have ordered new bulbs to see if this is the problem

·
Heavy Footed!
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Managed to get this fixed?
My one flickered and then right side turned off, then i fully turned the headlights off and on again and the left side is off but the right side was on :-S
I was driving around a little and BOTH of then turned off I kept turning it on and off n managed to get one back on to drive home, going to swap the OEMs back in to see if problems occur, so annoyed!
Yeap, took it to Honda several times, and after them having it for over 3 weeks, they sorted it.

Replaced both bulbs, ballists, and head units.Put more earth wire to the lights and some part of all that, it got sorted.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts