2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chaps,

Sorry if this has been asked many times before, I did search promise!

I've got a 2006 EX with stock HID's. When cold I've noticed the passenger side one flickers occasionally as in goes off and immediately back on, but no more than once every 20 seconds. This seems to last for about 3-5 minutes and ends when the lamps seem to be warm and will then stay on fine until I next switch them off.

It doesn't seem to be affected by the revs, so I'm guessing it's not earth related (although that is something on my to-do list).

Question is, do you think it's more likely to be lamp or ballast that's causing the issue? I suspect that these are original lamps from new on a nine year old car, but as I've only had it for a couple of weeks cash is still on the tight side and would rather spend it on the right bit!

Thanks

Paul

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
I'd suspect the bulbs, which are easy and relatively cheap to change. mrJP will sort you out with replacements that are much cheaper than Honda.

New bulbs work for some but others (inc'g me) had to stump up for a new ballast/ignitor, acquired 2nd hand from eBay.

Recent similar thread; http://www.civinfo.com/forum/lights/171545-ignitor-ballast.html

Good luck getting it fixed.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
I'd suspect the bulbs, which are easy and relatively cheap to change. mrJP will sort you out with replacements that are much cheaper than Honda.

New bulbs work for some but others (inc'g me) had to stump up for a new ballast/ignitor, acquired 2nd hand from eBay.

Recent similar thread; http://www.civinfo.com/forum/lights/171545-ignitor-ballast.html

Good luck getting it fixed.
As above. For £20ish you can change the bulbs and be sure.
My bulb started flickering - new bulb solved it. I think if you catch it early enough you limit any strain on the ballast/ignitor as they have to work harder to achieve ignition as the bulb wears.

Reactions: Farqui

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
Hi Chaps,

Sorry if this has been asked many times before, I did search promise!

I've got a 2006 EX with stock HID's. When cold I've noticed the passenger side one flickers occasionally as in goes off and immediately back on, but no more than once every 20 seconds. This seems to last for about 3-5 minutes and ends when the lamps seem to be warm and will then stay on fine until I next switch them off.

It doesn't seem to be affected by the revs, so I'm guessing it's not earth related (although that is something on my to-do list).

Question is, do you think it's more likely to be lamp or ballast that's causing the issue? I suspect that these are original lamps from new on a nine year old car, but as I've only had it for a couple of weeks cash is still on the tight side and would rather spend it on the right bit!

Thanks

Paul
Can only add to the great advice already given.

I would suggest swapping bulbs left to right first which will isolate the problem, if problem switches sides and follows the bulb you know that's your issue.

You can then contact me for some replacements should you wish.

;)

·
R-398
702 Posts
Gonna piggy back onto this thread. Mine own flicker briefly like this. Tried to change the bulbs over but really can't see how to get the bulbs out.... There's a sort of twist lock affair that holds the bulb in place but once undone it doesn't pull out far enough for me to access the bulbs.

Any tips for this? Manual really doesn't cover HID change.

·
R-398
702 Posts
I'll need to have another look. After twisting that bracket the whole module comes out barely an inch before the wires become tight. I'll get it before the rips in my hand heal. Backs of them look like I've been fighting cats for years!

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Have you removed the silver cable connector from the end of the bulb before undoing bulb holder. When you remove bulb should have no wires attached

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I've got a similar problem, one of my lights flickers and the other has a purpleish tint so guess I should replace both first

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
it is likely to be the bulb from my experience, changing a few sets of bulb and getting nowhere and i was going to change the ballast.
i had this problem ongoing over a year and it turned out to be 2 sets of bulb which have 1 faulty on each set.

Reactions: mcdamo

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
Unlucky

FYI: swapping bulbs side to side helps identify if its a bulb or ballast issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts