2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you can help me.
I have recently tried to switch from the dull standard civic key to a flip key, I have extended the transponder and fiited it to the flip key case successfully and have had the key cut.
I bought the flip key from ebay for just over £11, its works perfectly in all barrels apart from the ignition.
The key will go in and start the the car but it will not come out, Ive been told by the locksmith that the blade is to short-has anyone experianced this?
I have read that a few people have had the conversion done and it works perfectly. My blade on the flip key is 45mm long, can anybody who has had a successfull conversion tell me the length of their blade for my peace of mind.

Many thanks in advance,

Attachments

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Hi johnjonjo,

My flip key blade is 45mm long just the same as yours and the actual cut is 27mm on the blade, all has worked fine for me.

When I had mine cut the guy said that after a while of usage the rough corners/edges of the cut will wear down and the key will be smoother to use in the ignition.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
My OEM key has a 46mm long blade, but from the wear marks on it only 33mm of that is ever used.
Check the thickness of the centre strip as I know there were some problems after cutting of this being too wide.

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
The OP's blade looks very thin to me...?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ive just done some measuring-

Original key blade, 9mm wide, 3mm thick, 46mm long and the pattern cut on the blade is 25mm long.

Flip key blade, 9mm wide, 3mm thick, 44mm long and the pattern cut on the blade is 25mm long.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Check the thickness of the centre strip as I know there were some problems after cutting of this being too wide.
Have you checked this yet? The width of the protruding part that is left after cutting. I know someone on here had a problem and needed to have that part adjusted for it to work.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Hey not only the center strip but also the thickness of the two cut sections either side of the centre strip.

On mine once it had been cut i had to take a dremil bit to one side of the key (bit that had been cut) as one side was ever so slightly thicker than the other.

Made it so i couldnt even get the key to go in.
But after grinding it down slightly slid in like a knife through butter.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your help people but I am thinking that it easily goes in and comes out of all barels, its just in the ignition that it does not want to come out, as weird as it sounds you have to push the key further into the ignition barrel quite hard so that it comes out.
The shoulder on the flip key is wider than on the original, the locksmith said that upon ejection of the key it actually goes into the ignition barrel a little deeper, its just the way the mechanism operates. He said my key is 2mm shorter than original so it wont go in when its trying to be relased from the barrel.
Im just confused!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
To be honest mate, take your OEM key and check everything on the flip key in comparison. There must be some difference if you're having trouble with it so measure up every conceivable edge for length/width/thickness/roundness and make sure they match exactly to the OEM. That's about all we can offer I'm afraid!

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
When I was looking at the kind of battery my key takes I noticed a hole for a 3rd button.

After looking at some flip key designs i saw that this 3rd button is for a boot release.

Can the civic be fitted with a boot release button on its key so the boot opens?

If it can i may as well install a button and get this.
Honda 3 Button Remote Flip Key Shell with Chrome Buttons & Honda Logo | eBay

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
When I was looking at the kind of battery my key takes I noticed a hole for a 3rd button.

After looking at some flip key designs i saw that this 3rd button is for a boot release.

Can the civic be fitted with a boot release button on its key so the boot opens?

If it can i may as well install a button and get this.
Honda 3 Button Remote Flip Key Shell with Chrome Buttons & Honda Logo | eBay
No, as there's no mechanism on the car to remotely release the boot catch, other than the button on the boot lid.

You may be able to buy and fit something for that purpose but I don't know how easy it would be to set it up to be activated by the Civic key fob.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.