2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping someone else here has some advice on the following.
After sitting and idling for a short period (ie, waiting at a set of lights), when I go to pull away in first gear the engine seems very unresponsive, almost like its being strangled, which almost leads to stalling unless you give her more revs than usual. If you first give a couple of pumps on the gas the engine seems to clear its strangled throat and will then pull away normally, but it is very annoying to have to do this every time.
Does this sound like a tuning issue?
Could the engine be flooding itself when sitting idling for the short period?

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would you have modified your intake? i.e sri??
Only mod is a K&N drop in high flow panel air filter. Car has not had a re-tune since this was installed, and I am not aware that it would need to.

+1

Are you using a decent fuel ?
Always use premium 98 octane. However I do think Australia's fuel is pretty crap.

Is the car hunting revs while idling? Or is the revs dropping only when you start off?
Revs are stable when idling, there is no bouncing of needle. Revs dont really 'drop' on start off, its more that after sitting and idling for a short period, the initial touch on the accelerator gives a very strangled response from the engine, rather than a smooth pick up of revs.

It has been quite hot and humid weather here in Australia, so I am wondering whether this problem is just being caused from the engine sucking in all that hot and heavy air and suffocating a little. Guess I'm not gonna be able to validate that theory unless I try channelling an air intake to the front grill. :S

Any other theorys on this?
Car has hit 40,000km, so is due for service (which is a tune up service). Honda may be able to give some advice, but as you will all well know, sometimes the people on this site know more than Honda themselves.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
It has been quite hot and humid weather here in Australia, so I am wondering whether this problem is just being caused from the engine sucking in all that hot and heavy air and suffocating a little
Possible i guess, we dont get much of that here :p (constantly chucking down and icy cold at the moment...naff for us, perfect for the cars haha)
Why not try a custom CAI (cold air intake) from the lower front grille up the air box sleeve?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
try an ecu reset see if that helps?
Yeah, will get the blokes at Honda to take a look this service.

Possible i guess, we dont get much of that here :p (constantly chucking down and icy cold at the moment...naff for us, perfect for the cars haha)
Why not try a custom CAI (cold air intake) from the lower front grille up the air box sleeve?
Would love too, I think this would definitely make a difference.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Or pull out the engine fuse for a few seconds.
OK, might give this a try.
Probably a stupid question but, are there any stereo codes or anything you need after resetting the ECU?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.