2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Here is another handling problem which I can’t seem to figure. Basically when driving the car this is how the car feels. It feels a little flouty and unstable. Small input to the steering is not Persis or accurate. You feel like you need to adjust the amount of turn all the time. Throwing the car into the turn and pushing right up to the braking pint of grip and the car turns in fine and rids flat. I dose feel like it wants to over steer thou the harder you corner.
There are a few strange sounds. When pulling off or coming to a stop or hitting a bump you have a clicking sound like tapping plastic.
When going over very rough uneven ground there is a very fast rattle like something is under tension and bouncing.
I have changed on the car but not really help
Heavy duty drop links
ARB bushes
Rear trailing arm bushes
The car has been to Honda and had the sub frame cleaned and greases (not difference)
And another garage who found nothing shocks seems to be fine.
Would you be able to tell if the shock mounts where knackered without taking the shocks off the car? As I starting to think it is that but don’t know the tell tell signs of knackered top mounts or bearings/bush.

If anyone has any ideas I am all ears. :popcorn2:

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
My car felt like this, then I fitted meister r suspension. If it's not alignment, it will be your dampers worn. My car is totally transformed now. So stable in the windy weather this week. I can even chuck it about a bit on country lanes now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so to update. i have had the wheel alinement done. It improved it slightly. Still have the over steering problem. It is at is worst when changing direction quickly or cornering fast. As you turn and the weight goes to on side the over steers like a kick. It is worse on left hand bends. Its more of a under steer on right hand bends.
The bump stops are in place. No leaking from the shocks. The chap that did the alignment said it was all tight under there.
But I did notice the rear suspension is pretty soft. Not sagging but a lot easier to push down than my other civic.
I don’t really want to go to the expense of putting coil overs on when it might not be the shocks. Also I can’t lower the car as I won’t get it out of the drive.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
I would get it to Honda for a once over. They'll happily do a health check for you, and they'll check any issues you mention.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would get it to Honda for a once over. They'll happily do a health check for you, and they'll check any issues you mention.
I did. Twice. I had the clicking sound like the sub frame thing. They did the sub frame cleaning thing. And said they could not see anything else wrong. Also the cleaning of the sub frame made no difference to the clicking when pulling off.
I have ordered some rear shocks to see if that helps. If not then I will have to do the fronts.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I took off the rear shocks today as I was going to fit new ones as I thought they were buggered. Well turns out they are working fine and in good condition. So stayed with the old.ones and plan to send back the new ones. As I might buy coilovers yet. But need to get to the bottom of this over steer. The thing is none of the macanics I have taken it to can't seem to see anything wrong from under the car. What tell tell sighs would a knackered front shock mount give? Any help with this would be helpfull

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I would hazard a guess and say it's the rear alignment. They notoriously come out of the factory way out but within 'factory tolerances'. Unfortunately you can only correct it with shims.

My car felt the same before I had the rear alignment corrected. Another symptom was it wandered in a straight line, constant correction to keep it straight.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would hazard a guess and say it's the rear alignment. They notoriously come out of the factory way out but within 'factory tolerances'. Unfortunately you can only correct it with shims.

My car felt the same before I had the rear alignment corrected. Another symptom was it wandered in a straight line, constant correction to keep it straight.

I don’t think it is alignment. As the car drove fine up to about 4 weeks ago. First garage said it was the trailing arm bushes as they look warn so had them replaced. It settled it for about a week then it got worse. Now it feels like a ball joint has gone but they seem fine and no harsh noises apart from a click/ tap when pulling off from stationary or driving very slowly.
The last car I had that felt like this had been in a smash and the sub frame had been welded out of alignment. But there is no sign of damage on this car.
this car is making me sad :(

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
Did you not read my post?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My car felt like this, then I fitted meister r suspension. If it's not alignment, it will be your dampers worn. My car is totally transformed now. So stable in the windy weather this week. I can even chuck it about a bit on country lanes now.
Yes I read your post. I had the shocks checked and the garage said they were fine. But I am starting to think this guy is a plank. I know that the standard Honda shocks makes the car so stiff that a bounce test is not possible. So now it bounces a little would make him think they are ok. But makes me think they are shot. There is no sign of leakage. They don’t bounce uncontrollably but enough to make me question them. There rears are fine though.
I am tempted to just say bugger it and get a set of meister r. but I do wonder if they are a little over kill for what I need. so maybe the Koni FSD as they are £200 less than the meister's, but then they are meant to be quite a hard set up and I do a lot of driving on country lanes and b roads and don’t want to fell every little bump. I was hoping to get the yellow speed coilovers on offer they have on now but there standard drop is 30mm from standard and this is too low for me.
I just Don't kown What to do :confused:
Meister r £700
Koni FSD £500
Standard £125 = only 2 front shocks need changing

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi i have a 2007 civic typeR and it feels like its oversteering in corners and really bad if i touch brake it feels dangerous tbh what bolt did you tighten? front or rear or all?

·
Super Moderator
2,227 Posts
well i have got to the bottom of my handerling problems. the wish bone bearing bolt were not done up properly.

problem soved. :)
Who found that?
You or all these clever mechanics who said nothing was wrong?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts