2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

getting some sort of brown fluid leaking from the back end of the car when it's parked facing uphill.

Doesn't seem to leak when facing downhill, but not checked this extensively.

I checked the engine oil, and it was below minimum, but i've not topped this up in a few months, so not certain if it's that.

Anybody any ideas or had anything like this before? Going to try and take in in to a garage tomorrow, but i never like going in blind, as i haven't found a garage i trust yet.

Edit: it's a 2.2 for anybody on mobile!

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Brown or rusty? Watery or oily?
Back end is pretty large, where exactly?
Wheel area? Check your brake fluid level before using your car again.

Could be as simple as rusty water coming out of your exhaust, or as problematic as a transmission or power steering leak. What's the concistency and exact color, is it light, dark?

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's dark brown, wiping it on my fingers it spreads to brown and black. Looks oily on the floor. Feels it a little.

It's about half way between the middle of the car and the rear axle. Maybe dropping onto the tray, and then sliding off the end of it?

I'll check the brake fluid level tomorrow before using it. Is it a visual check of one of the tanks? Manual should tell me which one/where?

Would no warning lights show up of it got very low, like it does for oil?

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Well unless your brake fluid is severely contaminated that's not it (i'd still check the level - and while you're at it open the reservoir and see if the fluid is clear, otherwise replace it with the next service)

Brown/black separation is either engine oil or the transmission.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Usually it's a seal or a gasket, so pretty cheap, unfortunately the new fluid and man-hours is where they get you ;) Good luck, let us know how it went.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've just had the fuel leak on mine, undertray makes it run back towards rear of car, had even got on the back box of mine. Tray will look oily down passenger side if it's this!!

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yep, it was the fuel line corroding and leaking diesel on the tray.

Had to order a replacement fuel line from Honda UK (£59) and it gets delivered to the nearest dealer 15 miles away. Which i then have to collect from honda and bring to the garage. Because honda won't send it there or deliver it themselves.

The fuel was leaking onto the exhaust, so the garage strongly recommended i not drive it anywhere, so i had to leave it there overnight until the replacement fuel line arrives at Honda in the morning. £65 for fitting.

So is this issue likely to occur again? Anything i should ask them to do to prevent it happening again?

Also, pretty poor service from Honda. They demanded i pay for the part up front before they would order it. I was told most garages/dealers do it a different way where payment is made once the part has been confirmed to be correct and isn't going to get sent back?

·
regrets his username
7,974 Posts
That's the thing with Honda, garages have to order parts from them anyway because usually something so simple isn't available, had it myself with my local garage, a 1 day job turned into being without the car for 3 days due to being a Honda part only & it needed to be ordered in.
Peugeot & Vw near me have parts available on site, so I don't understand why Honda don't

·
Registered
29 Posts
The garage I use just replaced the part that was leaking with a rubber hose on mine. This saved removing the fuel tank and draining etc to fix, also took out a large chunk of the thin grey piece of the fuel pipe which seems to corrode for some reason. Easy cheap fix and doesn't leak anymore, that section has a rubber piece in anyway so it's just an extension of that.

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The garage I use just replaced the part that was leaking with a rubber hose on mine. This saved removing the fuel tank and draining etc to fix, also took out a large chunk of the thin grey piece of the fuel pipe which seems to corrode for some reason. Easy cheap fix and doesn't leak anymore, that section has a rubber piece in anyway so it's just an extension of that.

Tom
That probably would have been better. I don't trust the garage I took it to, by any means, buy no other garage was able to check it out and repair it so quickly. Others I tried offered to check it out weeks from now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts