2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I was thinking as an interim measure of buying a cheap FM Transmitter to play my MP3s in the motor.

I've seen a few posts saying that this is a bit hit and miss with the aerial being located away from the front of the car, and the reception not being the best for normal radio let alone a lower power FM transmitter.

Has anyone got any experience of this and can perhaps say 'Yay' or 'Nay'? :D

·
Jack Bauer is my God
274 Posts
Yes I got a belkin one. It is pretty good, but you run into problems when trying to find an empty FM channel, particularly if you travel and you suddenly get a funny man talking news to you in the middle of ya tunes.

Also, quality is not brilliant, but if you just want ya music then I can say yes.

How quick you looking to buy, you can have mine once I get my iPhone connected up proper.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I got a belkin one. It is pretty good, but you run into problems when trying to find an empty FM channel, particularly if you travel and you suddenly get a funny man talking news to you in the middle of ya tunes.

Also, quality is not brilliant, but if you just want ya music then I can say yes.

How quick you looking to buy, you can have mine once I get my iPhone connected up proper.
Cheers for the reply.

Yeah, just something to play my tunes on, in a reasonably clear and audible format! lol.

Erm ........ no major rush, not got heaps of cash left until pay day lol.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tell you what, give me a prompt when you ready to buy, if mine is free you can have (I have no need for it after this so might as well go to a good home - you can owe me a pint!). If not you can still buy new!
That's awesome mate! I'll have to attend a meet.... I could probably manage a pint and maybe even a follow up! :)

Will the Belkin one take a flash drive? When you upgrading?

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh numnuts!!! :mad:

I have just realized mine is an iPod/iPhone specific one. It is great if you have one of these because it charges it too, but otherwise pointless.

Sorry buddy I just realized that.
Doh!

I did wonder when you mentioned the iPod. Nevermind, the thought is very much appreciated. :)

But now that I know they work I'll probably just invest in a cheap one for the time being.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Save your cash bud

I've tried 3 different transmitters in the last 2 weeks,
I know they are for the iPhone but here's my experience with them

First was my girlfriends £10 tesco effort , really crap, not worth writing about..

Second was a halfords £59 belkin tunebase fm live, this one was surprisingly good, sound quality was very good and hardly ever dropped the signal, only problem was the main body of the transmitter sticks up too far from cig lighter socket and every time I changed gear i hit the retune button,, very annoying, I took it back 6 days later as unwanted birthday pressie and swopped it for a £40 belkin tunecast auto live..
This one was also crap, dropped signal all the time and and the long cable was a pain in the ass, I also took it back as unwanted gift for full refund,

Hopefully this gives you an idea of what they are like, I am gonna go the xcarlink route now,

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Bought a five pound one for y iPod and surprisingly worked a treat, but of course nothing beats a wired connection.

Another thought is as the cd player plays mp3s (depending on how many tracks you got) burn the mp3s to a disc (using data or jukebox burn) so you can get a few albums worth.
(audio burn will do it to length of the track rather than the size as data or neros jukebox do)

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
This is just the thread i need! Cheers stevenjp90 I didnt realise the cd player was mp3 compatible :) how much would it cost to have the xcar link route fitted by an audio shop? with mount etc??

I have a Bury mount fitted(was there when i bought it) but Im thinking about getting it removed as the cradles are pretty pricey :-S

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
This is just the thread i need! Cheers stevenjp90 I didnt realise the cd player was mp3 compatible :) how much would it cost to have the xcar link route fitted by an audio shop? with mount etc??

I have a Bury mount fitted(was there when i bought it) but Im thinking about getting it removed as the cradles are pretty pricey :-S
yeah I had put a load of selected tracks (my car tracks) on a cd and just put the lot on random :D
before I got my ipod in there.

but as for the price I wouldn't be too sure how much it'll cost as I done my xcarlink and just attached it the inside of the arm rest and keeps it all hidden in there :).

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I don't feel confident enough to do it myself - i may just get an aux socket put in and buy a belkin holder dependant upon the cost difference.

Do you use a specific black polish/wax? As my civic has quite a few chips on the bonnet (dealer had covered them up!).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.