2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just got my black fn2 type r a couple of days ago and was wanting some advices from the veterans in the community!

I know the service book recommends servicing every 12,000 miles but is that the optimum amount or is 10,000 (for example) better? I had an EP2 before this, does the FN2 use the same type of engine oil?

When does the drive belt need to be changed (belt left of engine)?

Last thing....quite important, I was blasting it down the highway to feel Vtec last night, going over 6000 rpm till the indicator came on. Felt amazing BUT i cant seem to shift into the next gear at high speed? I can be on 8000 rpm and want to change from 2nd gear to 3rd but it wont go into 3rd. Its almost as if it was stuck to stop it from going in until the car slows back down to like 4500 - 5000 rpm I'm not sure if its the sync plate is on its way out? If that's normal and just the clutch / gearbox protecting itself? Or am I low on transmission oil? - worst of all, gearbox / transmission is on its way out? :crying::crying::crying:

Really hope its not the last one.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
12000 miles is ideally the maximum before needing a service, sooner is definitely a bonus especially with regular vtec use.

Try opie oils for oil advice. I'd say go and get the best fully synthetic 5w30 or 5w40 you can afford. There are lots of threads on those two grades of oil.

Don't know about the belt.

Last bit sounds like 2nd or 3rd gear synchro issue, common problem on early FN2's.

·
A wizard is never late...
793 Posts
if its only 2nd to 3rd then as Leejay said it will be the syncros, if its every gear then the clutch may not be full disengaging. there is a guide on here on how to adjust it.

i service mine every year or 9k, whatever comes first. more frequent changes wont harm anything but your wallet.

and as for oil any decent brand 5w30 or 5w40 fully synthetic will do, however i found castrol edge 5w30 burnt off very quickly and shell helix 5w40 hasnt used a drop in since the last service around 4k ago.

im not sure if your talking about the aux belt? as the engine is chain driven. the chain only really needs changing if its giving a eml or stretched and check the aux belt for wear and make the judgement yoiurself.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,275 Posts
Voodoo nailed them all :)

High rpm lockout is likely worn synchros or clutch.
Try a clutch fluid rebleed, trans oil flush, if the bite is low then I'd try and lift the bite point.

Dead synchros tend to also crunch so you may be lucky with fresh fluids.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts