2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Feeling sound!
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Well, I've always wanted a red (or in this case a Milano) coloured car with white alloys. However the alloys I do have are the stock Honda alloys. Now, I can't change the physical alloy due to insurance price increases but I can change the colour.

Has anyone had their alloys powder coated? And/or sprayed? Which would you recommend over the two options? I want my silver/metal grey alloys turning white and I'm not sure which is the better option but a couple of people have suggested powder coating. I've read that this isn't always a good option due to the temperature they get your alloy up to weakening the strength of the alloy (dependent on the material) and that they're easily chipped and a bugger to fix when chipped.

Would powder coating be a better option than spraying? Or would spraying be a longer lasting option over powder coating? I don't really know much about either so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tayl.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The under coat on nearly all alloy wheels is a powder coat from the factory. This is then painted using a water based base coat and an acrylic lacquer (again powder coat). If you find a good powder coater that uses this system you're fine. If they are just using a polyester coat straight over the top of the bare alloy it's not very good for corrosion resistance, in fact is probably worse than nothing once the water gets behind it.

You can get some really good bright whites in powder coat but just make sure whoever you use is putting on a proper wheel primer.

If your wheels are in good condition just leave the factory coating on and get someone to put white over the top with wet paints. :)

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Ever tried plasti dip. Have a look at some threads on here and google. Looks pretty good, cheap and easy to do and if ** not happy with it peel it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts