2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the easiest way to get to the back of the alternator of in the FN2? I want to get to the connectors so that I can replace the live wire with a larger gauge.

Any ideas? By looking at it I can't even see where the wires are?

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I think that the dimming of my lights when load is put on the battery/alternator is caused by the poor gauge wire connecting the alternator to the battery. I have already upgraded the earths so I can't really think of any other reason unless the battery isn't up to the job? :confused:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Is it still the original alternator rather than an uprated one?

It's true you would see a voltage drop over a cable that was insufficient but I'd have thought there would be a suitable size cable on the alternator anyway? I'd sooner suspect the health of the alternator. What kind of load are you placing on the alternator to cause the lights to dim?

·
Registered
425 Posts
The lights will dim for a split second when the fan kicks in or the air-conditioning is switched on.

Yep I have a multimeter, however, I can't get to any of the plugs on the alternator anyway :rolleyes:

If it's only for a split second, it doesn't sound like anything that far out of the ordinary. My Ford Focus did the same. It's only the delay between the load happening and the alternator regulator catching up as the field current changes. I doubt you'd see any improvement by adding a heavier gauge.

·
Registered
425 Posts
You could try upping the wire gauge if it bothers you that much but I think it willl be the peak current as the condenser fan and A/C clutch kicks in. Possibly your alternator is slightly weakened or your battery is getting a little tired but my Ford Focus was the same over the four years I had it with the lights dimming from time to time for a split second.

If it was me though, I wouldn't worry unless I was getting sluggish starts as a result of a slightly low battery.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is it only dimming when the engine is idleing? Does it also dimm if you rev up a bit?

I 've seen the dimming on Jazz, Civic, Seat Leon, Mitsubishi Colt...

a short dimming is normal since the engine has to rev up if you put some more load on the alternator, but it cant rev up in a split second.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does any one have any ideas as to the ops original question??

I am in the same boat as the op. However, I am needing to access the alternator output for my Big 3 upgrade.

Be nice and help out.

Cheers.

Tony

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ended up having a play and figuring it out myself.

The easiest way is to remove the from slam panel, this will give you better access. However, it's still a struggle to reach the connector for the alternator but you can just get a small 10mm spanner in there, the trickiest part is when you have to remove the nut altogether, you can just about get your hand in there but it is really tight.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I ended up having a play and figuring it out myself.

The easiest way is to remove the from slam panel, this will give you better access. However, it's still a struggle to reach the connector for the alternator but you can just get a small 10mm spanner in there, the trickiest part is when you have to remove the nut altogether, you can just about get your hand in there but it is really tight.

Hope this helps.
Awesome...thank you very much

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.