2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all
A big hi first as a new member. Just changed from a boring car to my lovely red type r. A second mid life crisis car. Love it. However, I am finding the gear change is baulking in vtec. I really have to slow it down or double clutch. It's fine in normal driving and changing down. I have booked it in for gearbox oil change with quality stuff and was going to get my mechanic to adjust the clutch following the how to thread. My question is am I wasting my time doing this or is it worth a go as it has worked for others?

Thanks all

Papman

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
Welcome bud, defo worth changing the transmission fluid. I had the same thing in my ep3 and helped greatly. Just make sure you use the proper Honda stuff. Is your clutch bite low?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clutch bite isn't horrendous by any means but it does kangaroo a bit when cold! I assume it could just need a new clutch

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Clutch bite isn't horrendous by any means but it does kangaroo a bit when cold! I assume it could just need a new clutch

Well known for kangarooing when cold these FN2's mate. Just take it easy until they warm up :)

Mine and Musegrooves are horrific for it when cold haha!

Like above change the 'box oil for some fresh Honda MTF3 and you should see an improvement. Some people have used 'amsoil' transmission oil with good effect however I have no experience with the stuff

Edit: welcome to the forum too!

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
+1 on the kangarooing, my Fn2 was not an early riser :smile3:

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
If the bite is close to the floor then adjusting the pedal and flushing the fluid should help resolve it. Just take it easy until it's resolved as you can quickly strip a synchro.

Kangarooing is normal, mine's pretty much been tuned out but they're not happy until up to temp. I traded kangarooing for zero power when cold :lol:

Reactions: Papman

·
Registered
4 Posts
Changed the gearbox oil,and it improved the change but still baulks at vtec. Going to go for a new clutch this coming week and hopefully jobs a good un after that!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think the 'baulking' is a different issue to when the car is cold and kangaroo's a bit. That itself isn't a fault, it's just when cold and known on these cars. The baulking you mention, is this when changing from 1st to 2nd gear at speed? I have a similar issue where changing up from 1st to 2nd at anything above 6500rpm, the car hesitates for a split second and almost jerks. The car is always warmed up and it doesn't seem to occur in other gears. Driving at slower speeds, I have no issues with the gears.

Sorry to hijack your thread mate, I just wondered if this is similar to what you are experiencing?

·
Super Moderator
1,289 Posts
My FN2 jumps about when cold as well, just have to get used to it.
I'm not surprised it might object to changing from 1st to 2nd if you are doing it at Vtec end of the rev range.
Let us know if the new clutch cures it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Give it a few weeks and you should notice a huge improvement in regards to the gear changes. Mine is smooth all the way in vtec now.
Keep an eye on the oil regularly and check your calipers are not seized or on their way out.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
The clutch was knackered. It is much better now to drive and does not baulk at all in gear changes during vtec. Yes, it is a bitch to drive when cold and loves to try and kangaroo, jerk and make it look like I can't drive until warmed up. Standard stuff!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My FN2 jumps about when cold as well, just have to get used to it.
I'm not surprised it might object to changing from 1st to 2nd if you are doing it at Vtec end of the rev range.
Let us know if the new clutch cures it.
Not sure what you mean mate? It shouldn't baulk in any gears, whether 1st, 2nd or any. New clutch and it's a new car!

·
Registered
294 Posts
£150 clutch and £130 fitting with my trusted local mechanic. Not to bad if it sorts it out!
Just had mine finally changed exedy clutch £119 n labour £216. Totally different car clutch pedal is light and really is a total different car now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
i just got a fn2 type r with a similar problem, biting point was on the floor, gears werent selecting as nice as they should. and it was horrible to change gears while in vtech. i found a guide on this forum that shows you how to raise the biting point, takes around 10/20 mins you dont need many tools. and it solved my problem lovely, i allso i did the master cylinder for the cruise control, it looked like it was screwed in to much and the pedal was stressing the mech. could save you some money.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts