2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My FN2 is purely street and a daily driver so not into BBK or performance mods.
The brakes are looking a bit corroded but work okay so looking for something sensible to replace them and add a bit of bling.
So far the choices look like:
MTec package deal @ £171 with Mintex pads, probably with grooves and/or dimples and silver finish for bling
Evora package deal @ £208 dimpled & grooved with Brembo pads from Brake Depot

Anyone got any comments or experience to pass on please?

·
Administrator
18,068 Posts
Get coated/protected disks.

MTEC's coating works well

Mintex pads are okay for daily driver duties but tend to struggle if you lean on them too much. They're cheap enough tho.

·
Super Moderator
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Farqui, what other pads would you suggest? Brembo maybe?
Don't want something that is going to take ages to warm up or create shed loads of dust.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm also thinking about new pads, people usually recommend Ferodo DS2500 or EBC Yellowstuff for road use (with the occasional spirited drive)

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
For me Stoptech street pads were spot on. Not that expensive and less dusty with more cold bit than DS2500.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have brembo race pads and they are perfect. Nice feom cold use but after a quick warm up they bite hard.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

·
K20 addict
983 Posts
For me Stoptech street pads were spot on. Not that expensive and less dusty with more cold bit than DS2500.

I've got these with plain discs, braided lines and ATE Typ200 fluid. Defo not as good as the PBS in my Ep3 obviously, but pretty good stopping power - not as instant as the PBS but to be expected from a low dust pad. No screeching like the DS2500 I had too.

·
CTR
538 Posts
I've just bought the MTEC drilled/grooved discs with Mintex Pads. Will see how they are this weekend when fitted.

·
Super Moderator
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scottie would love to know how they work - have you bought the standard Mintex package or gone for the 1144 upgrades?
I am still thinking but am sliding towards Mtec Grooved with Honda original pads all round.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I opted for the mtec grooved discs with mintex pads. They are decent, a bit noisey when first on nothing major. My only concern is shown on the images. They look like they are corroding already done approx 400-500 mile.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,068 Posts
I opted for the mtec grooved discs with mintex pads. They are decent, a bit noisey when first on nothing major. My only concern is shown on the images. They look like they are corroding already done approx 400-500 mile.

As they are rusting then I presume they aren't the coated versions.

·
Super Moderator
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dobbyboy, are the mintex pads the standard ones Mtec supply or did you go for the 1144 pad upgrade?
Like Farqui I would guess these were not coated - if they were then it didn't work too well?

·
CTR
538 Posts
@romansi I went for the standard package, looks good and braking is slightly better but louder. Mintex aren't the best pads but for everyday use they will be just fine.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Dobbyboy, are the mintex pads the standard ones Mtec supply or did you go for the 1144 pad upgrade?
Like Farqui I would guess these were not coated - if they were then it didn't work too well?
Just went for standard ones for the moment. Wanted ds2500 but didnt have enough coin at the moment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use DS2500 for front and rear both for FN2 and S2000 - one of the best setups I've had for street use (with some trackday activities) with OEM disks. Just need to get used to small squeaks from time to time.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I use DS2500 for front and rear both for FN2 and S2000 - one of the best setups I've had for street use (with some trackday activities) with OEM disks. Just need to get used to small squeaks from time to time.
Im gonna get some by the look of things. Went for a drive the weekend and found the standard mintex pads suffered bad brake fade on the roads. I get the minor squeal when first applying brakes

·
Super Moderator
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the dreaded stuck front caliper so having all the discs & pads done earlier than I wanted to.
Going for Brembo straight OEM replacement with the coated discs.
Can always upgrade the pads later.

·
Super Moderator
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very low dust with the Brembo pads and I am not easy on the brakes.
Stops/slows fine even on a spirited drive, don't do track driving so don't know how they would hold up with sustained heavy braking.
Excellent for normal road use, discs are only showing the slightest of ridges on the front and the pads are down by 30-40% according to Honda service report after a year and about 7000 miles.
They don't seem to be showing very much rust around the edges and centre so the "coating" seems to be doing its job.
BTW My garage charged the same as using Pagid parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very low dust with the Brembo pads and I am not easy on the brakes.
Stops/slows fine even on a spirited drive, don't do track driving so don't know how they would hold up with sustained heavy braking.
Excellent for normal road use, discs are only showing the slightest of ridges on the front and the pads are down by 30-40% according to Honda service report after a year and about 7000 miles.
They don't seem to be showing very much rust around the edges and centre so the "coating" seems to be doing its job.
BTW My garage charged the same as using Pagid parts.
Brilliant! Thanks for that, definitely will be making a purchase in the next couple of days..:wink3:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts