2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 60-plate FN2, 22k miles, bought from new. The car has had a number of issues but the most frustrating is the ease with which the brake calipers, front and rear, tend to stick and bind. Early in 2013 the rear calipers had to be freed up because they were binding, and now the offside front caliper is also binding. The car actually failed its first ever MOT last week because, to quote the Honda dealership, "the rear pads are 95% worn, the rear discs are just above minimum thickness, and the rear discs are lipped with corrosion" - no doubt from them binding.

Long story short, I had the dealership replace the rear pads to squeeze it through the MOT, but left the discs as they are. It now appears that the rear calipers are binding again, because if I leave my car parked on the drive (which angles downhill at maybe 5 degrees) for 2-3 days then the handbrake initially won't release properly and as I drive away I can hear the rear brakes making their normal grinding sound without me touching the brake pedal.

Can anyone recommend anything I can do to stop these calipers from repeatedly sticking? I'm not mechanically competent enough to grease the caliper slides myself but I'm loathe to keep paying Honda to free them up every six months. Will blasting the calipers with a jetwash every week be of any help? Or any other suggestions?

·
D and A said i did it
450 Posts
Search on here how to adjust your handbrake, may just be that its on too tight! Mine bind when theyve been left for a while or wet but dont grind for more than a few minutes!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Adjusting the handbrake is beyond me as well I'm afraid :(

One of the front calipers is also binding, according to Honda. I've learnt to recognise when they start binding now, because all of a sudden my fuel consumption drops by 6-70 miles per tank.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Adjusting the handbrake is beyond me as well I'm afraid :(

One of the front calipers is also binding, according to Honda. I've learnt to recognise when they start binding now, because all of a sudden my fuel consumption drops by 6-70 miles per tank.
If I was you I'd take your car to TDI north ( a garage that can be trusted) and get them to take a look.
Sounds like the shoulders of the pads need filing down a touch so they slide freely in the runners. The pads should slide in the runners easily without the use of grease.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers. Believe me, if I had the money, I'd take the car somewhere like TDI and get them to replace the lot - calipers, discs, and pads - with non-OEM parts. Unfortunately, I can't afford that. And technically, this is still covered by the manufacturer's warranty, because the issue was flagged up with Honda prior to the three year mark. But as I think we all know, they won't accept that these calipers are prone to sticking.

I wouldn't mind but I'm not even a heavy braker, I tend to use engine braking quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Cheers. Believe me, if I had the money, I'd take the car somewhere like TDI and get them to replace the lot - calipers, discs, and pads - with non-OEM parts. Unfortunately, I can't afford that. And technically, this is still covered by the manufacturer's warranty, because the issue was flagged up with Honda prior to the three year mark. But as I think we all know, they won't accept that these calipers are prone to sticking.

I wouldn't mind but I'm not even a heavy braker, I tend to use engine braking quite a bit.

I'm not saying get them to replace everything or even anything for that matter, but I know whose opinion I'd trust between a Honda garage and TDI.
As I said, it could just need the pad shoulders filing, something which isn't going to cost much.

If its still under warranty then get it back to Honda then!!!!!!!

Tell them they are sticking and ask to go in the workshop to have a look when they get the wheels off so you can see the problem yourself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honda won't do anything constructive though. They freed up the rear calipers "as a goodwill gesture", and six months later the same calipers are binding again. Their excuse is that "alloy wheels are to blame because they allow much more dirt from the road to flick up and hit the brakes" - that's pretty much a word-for-word quote from Honda CS.

Honestly, I've had so much grief from this car, it's unbelievable. I'd sell it tomorrow if I could afford a decent replacement...

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
So,

You're not mechanically competent enough to grease the caliper slides yourself but loathe to keep paying Honda to free them up every six months.

Adjusting the handbrake is beyond you.

Honda won't do anything constructive.

You have no money to take car to independent garage such as TDI.

I'd say you've probably run out of options mate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd say you've probably run out of options mate.
Yeah, that's why I've asked if there are any hints or suggestions on how I can prevent the calipers from binding. It can't be normal for them to continually stick like this. Honda are quoting £140 to free up all four!

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Yeah, that's why I've asked if there are any hints or suggestions on how I can prevent the calipers from binding. It can't be normal for them to continually stick like this. Honda are quoting £140 to free up all four!
The thing is, you need to cure the problem. If the pads are tight in the slide, It wont take much dirt and muck to make them seize ( I know from my rear brakes in the past ) .

If you are experiencing the same problem that I had, simply cleaning them with a jet wash to prevent them sticking isn't going to help as it will happen again and again, as you are experiencing now.

Trouble is it could be a problem with the pistons sticking ( unlikely ) and until it is diagnosed by a garage and you know what the actual problem is its hard to advise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just been reading your mod thread, I take it you've had no problems since you fitted those non-OEM calipers?

I've taken this up with Honda UK, even took it to Crossman in the end, but they don't want to know - they view it as "normal wear and tear", and only freed up the calipers the first time basically to shut me up. I guess I'm gonna have to keep driving the damn thing as it is and try to save up for someone like TDI or ABP to do some proper diagnostic work. Definitely won't be paying Honda another penny.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Its normal for the handbrake to be tight if not used for a couple of days. Have you taken the car for a long drive to see if the brake pads bed in?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its normal for the handbrake to be tight if not used for a couple of days. Have you taken the car for a long drive to see if the brake pads bed in?
Yeah, after a few miles I think the rear pads are releasing for the time being, because the noise stops. But this is how they started playing up last time, and then eventually they didn't release and that's why my rear discs are worn out. There's definitely a front caliper binding as well, according to the dealership. So far, the NS front is the only one which hasn't stuck :(

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Just been reading your mod thread, I take it you've had no problems since you fitted those non-OEM calipers?

I've taken this up with Honda UK, even took it to Crossman in the end, but they don't want to know - they view it as "normal wear and tear", and only freed up the calipers the first time basically to shut me up. I guess I'm gonna have to keep driving the damn thing as it is and try to save up for someone like TDI or ABP to do some proper diagnostic work. Definitely won't be paying Honda another penny.
I never had problems with the front anyway , just the rear and they are still OEM callipers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If I was you I'd take your car to TDI north ( a garage that can be trusted) and get them to take a look.
Sounds like the shoulders of the pads need filing down a touch so they slide freely in the runners. The pads should slide in the runners easily without the use of grease.

Just reading thru this, post above is great advice

I recently. Bought an fn2, front pass caliper starting sticking a bit so i rebuilt that with a refurb kit off ebay for 22quid

My car had just had new front discs and pads all round fitted from honda dealers just before i bought it

When i took front caliper of i noticed how corroded the thin metal disc pad holders / guides were. Took em off and wire brushed them, no copper grease on them or the pad ends so did them

My car had been down on power a bit so i took both rear calipers off to see if anything wrong there. With the wheel on and off the floor when i spun the wheel by hand there was way too much drag

The honda pads were so tight in the metal guides on the caliper hanger bracket it was shocking, had to hammer the inner ones out

I wire brushed the caliper hanger, cleaned all corrosion of the thin metal pad guides, they shiny siver again now, u know how they should look, not completly black with corrosion

Put copper grease in them, tried put pads back in and they still way too tight a fit, and remember there genuine honda pads

I had to use the drill with a mteal sanding disc to file quite a lot of metal off each end of the brake pad lugs until they went into the pad holders quite easily

Cheack both pistons on my rear calipers they seemed to push out and wind back in ok

Put all back together. Pumped brake few times to close pads up, handbrake on and off few times

Then with hand brake off and wheel on i spund the wheel by hand and it did so many more revolutions than it did at the start

1 - 17 of 17 Posts