2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am getting a lot of creeking from my rear suspension and i hear that it might be Bushings. I am not very mechanical minded but i think i may need to replace them. I can hear the creeking noise when getting in and out of the car and when putting my daughter into her car seat in the back. Can anyone please advise me on this and possibly point me in the right direction.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Chris

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,960 Posts
The dampers can creak, as can the handbrake/callipers and the rear swingarm bushes.

You could try spraying grease on the swingarm bushes.

The bushes only need replacing when they have lots of play and fail an MOT.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Farqui,

After acknowledging your incredible knowledge of the 8th generation Civic and appreciating your listening ear. I would like to ask your opinion (as well as anyone else who can/would like to answer).

I have been on the forum in the past regarding several issues I had with my used 2006 Civic. After a year and many repairs, most issues (other than my clicking left side cv joint which is fused into the steering knuckle but I plan to deal with at a later date) seem to have been straightened out after replacing:

Clutch
front struts and mounts
Lower control arms
tie rod ends
stabilizer bars
rear struts
New tires and rims
fuel filter

Car was driven hard over bad roads by previous owner and the suspension was in bad shape as well as bent rims and misshapen tires

In any case I am still dealing with very bad ride from the rear. Clunking , squeeking and very hard ride. After having the rear (new) struts removed to check for defects- (they work fine) the mechanic showed me cracks in the bushings in the rear control arm which he believes is the cause of the problem as the excessive movement causes the car to clunk rather than have the rear strut soften the ride. I have located replacements for the bushings but wanted to ask you or anyone else who would like to ad their opinion. Does this seem rasonable to be the cause of the problem? If so, what brand replacements would you suggest. I have seen in other threads your dissatisfaction with the ride provided by the poly bushings and that you switched back to oems. Where did you buy oem replacements for the rear bushings? Is there any other way to fit them other than removing the whole rear control arm and pressing in the replacement bushings?

Thanks again,

Michael

·
Administrator
17,960 Posts
You are too kind. I'm no expert but I will get grubby and tackle jobs myself.

Excessive play in the rear suspension bushes could well induce the odd clunk. It will also make the rear unstable and adversely affect the steering. Does you car have odd steering?

You don't have to remove the rear axle, it can be lowered down just enough leaving the hydraulics line on place.

I snagged a pair of bushes from eBay. Did I write a 'How To' guide or just embedded it within my build thread?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts