2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title, I had the timing chain and clutch replaced late last year. Since then I've noticed an annoying vibration in the cabin when sat idling in traffic. It feels like the car is going to stall. The revs stay constant around 800 and dont move around.

Any ideas what this could be down to?

Car also seems to be using more fuel than usual.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have you spoken to them about it? Usually a good first place to start, especially with someone with a good a reputation as them?

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
Worth checking the engine mounts to see if they're all torqued down and not loose?

Never had an issue with Stevie's workmanship but mistakes can happen.

Reactions: scottyr and Farqui

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I've been going to Stevie for years. Top bloke.

I did mention it to him but he was busy at the time, so I'll speak to him again. It's a bit of an odd one to be honest. Top mounts is a good shout though.

I'm noticing exhaust type fumes in the cabin at times, so not sure if it might be related to the manifold.

·
K20 addict
983 Posts
Did he do you a free balancer shaft delete when doing the chain!? ha. Sounds odd though, as if the top engine stabiliser is at fault or an engine mount.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did he do you a free balancer shaft delete when doing the chain!? ha. Sounds odd though, as if the top engine stabiliser is at fault or an engine mount.
Ha! Possibly!

I've spoken to him and he's going to have a look next week.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had this looked at a few weeks ago but they couldn't find the cause. Checked the engine mounts and exhaust but they were fine.

Said it could be bearings in the air con system but I don't see how that would've been affected by changing the timing chain. Bit miffed about this one, to be honest, as it was idling smooth before the work was done.

Any suggestions? I don't want to get funny about it, as I've been going there for years but something is definitely not right. Considering asking another garage to check it out.

Did find that one of my calipers was sticking, which I suspected. So, had to replace that and have new pads and discs on the front.

·
K20 addict
983 Posts
Is it vibrating at idle or just when driving?

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Should probably add that they changed the clutch and release bearing on the same day.

I found that the new clutch plate was slipping though, so they replaced it with another one, a few days later.

·
K20 addict
983 Posts
At grinspeed? Weird.

They couldn't find the issue? Did they agree it was abnormal though?

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At grinspeed? Weird.

They couldn't find the issue? Did they agree it was abnormal though?
Yeah, they agreed it was vibrating alot more than usual, particularly when the AC kicks in.

It's not really bad but I've had the car for a long time, so I know it's out of the ordinary.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, the engine itself is smooth but the cabin is vibrating?
Yeah, I'd say so. It's only noticeable when stationary and idling. When it's moving there's no obvious vibration, that I can make out.

Weirdly, the induction noise is alot louder than it used to be, particularly just before you hit VTEC. The intake is standard, with no mods.

·
K20 addict
983 Posts
I know on my Megane I got lots of vibrations in the cabin. The mounts all looked fine but it was trial and error so changed then anyway and the difference was huge. Like going from a Reliant to a rolls royce. Ok slight exaggeration but you get the idea.

·
Enjoying life
8,565 Posts
I would have guessed at engine mounts, could the balance shafts cause this issue? I'd guess they'd cause problems right across the rev range. Pulley problem? Might be worth idling the car and seeing if you get a buzzing from a specific area of the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, could be the mounts need refreshing. Car has done over 100k, so would probably help anyway.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts