2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

My FN2 is now at 98k miles, last 40k ish has been motorway miles, cruising or getting stuck in traffic.

More recently I noticed that getting the car into 1st and 2nd has become a little more difficult, sometimes with 1st I have to force it in

Other times when doing some quick gear changes it's crunching into 2nd or 3rd and sometimes just grinds.

Does anyone know if this is a clutch issue or a gearbox issue? I had the fluid changed last year.

and how much do the parts cost? -

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
What are the gear changes like with the engine off? If they are fine then it's more than likely clutch dragging /pressure plate starting to fail causing the tough gear changes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi,

My FN2 is now at 98k miles, last 40k ish has been motorway miles, cruising or getting stuck in traffic.

More recently I noticed that getting the car into 1st and 2nd has become a little more difficult, sometimes with 1st I have to force it in

Other times when doing some quick gear changes it's crunching into 2nd or 3rd and sometimes just grinds.

Does anyone know if this is a clutch issue or a gearbox issue? I had the fluid changed last year.

and how much do the parts cost? -
I've litreally just made a post similar 5 minutes ago to this but there isn't a crunch unless I screw up a gear change (clutch down *so I think) and put it into a gear then hear a horrible grind.

I've had a gearbox oil change and fluid change with zero improvements, I was told it could be a syncro maybe I'm under the assumption it's the same case with you however I need verification from others.

·
Super Moderator
1,949 Posts
At 98k miles it's probably the clutch getting to the end of it's working life.
The clutch's longevity depends an awful lot on how it has been driven, very difficult to know when you buy a used car.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I had the same issue as you, I swapped out for an original OEM clutch I saw on eBay for £225. Item number 303715547946

I also changed the slave cylinder was about 50quid from RHD. I elected to change transmission oil to Redline MTL feels so much better. Heard amosil synchromesh is really good to.

My milage is a bit higher than yours so I elected a different transmission fluid. Thought I'd so it all at once since it's all off

My gear changes are now silky smooth when warm, still a 🐖 when cold. Definitely doesn't like being driven cold lol

On the eBay shop they list the clutch for 2007/2008 and then a clutch for 2009/2010/2011

·
Registered
204 Posts
So your saying it might not be a syncro it might be the clutch that needs replacing?

Wow that's good to know mine feels like a pig all day everyday even when it's warm or hot it feels the same so you might be right it could be the clutch? What do you think? I mean sometimes 1-2 it sticks and it always crunches into gear not just slot in if that makes sense

·
Registered
74 Posts
What's it going to reverse? Often first and reverse can be awkward if the clutch is on its way out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
What's it going to reverse? Often first and reverse can be awkward if the clutch is on its way out.
Whats it like in reverse? Funny you ask that sometimes it slots and works sometimes it doesn't, I don't remember exactly but my reverse can sometimes get stuck then back into neutral and back in its fine.

·
Registered
357 Posts
U need luk clutch kit mate try your local auto shop, honda do a fixed price for £790 but its a basic clutch job not fly wheel

Shop around for fitting if u source the parts yourself dont forget transmission oil, transmission bolts.

You could tell if clutch is going by hard to shift gears, engine speed rising but not road speed.

If u in doubt take to a reputable indie they will advise u.

When did u have the teansmission oil changed, sometimes fresh oil can make a difference..

I try out the fluid change first see if it makes a difference...
If it doesn't then it the clutch needs replacing.. still u can reuse the transmission oil.

Your choice other posters can advise u

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
U need luk clutch kit mate try your local auto shop, honda do a fixed price for £790 but its a basic clutch job not fly wheel

Shop around for fitting if u source the parts yourself dont forget transmission oil, transmission bolts.

You could tell if clutch is going by hard to shift gears, engine speed rising but not road speed.

If u in doubt take to a reputable indie they will advise u.

When did u have the teansmission oil changed, sometimes fresh oil can make a difference..

I try out the fluid change first see if it makes a difference...
If it doesn't then it the clutch needs replacing.. still u can reuse the transmission oil.

Your choice other posters can advise u

I will check out Luk Clutch cheers, so including fly wheel its more expensive?

I didn't realise it was that expensive to get the job done? I'd assumed £300ish maybe I am in la la land o_O:cautious:

Oil is good I changed it myself less then 3 thousand miles ago using recommended oil, also gear box fluid MTF-3 and clutch fluid. These all made zero positive changes in the gear changes, I then feared it was the syncros but its between that and the clutch.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hi mate does the engine revs up when u change up but the road speed doesnt match ...

·
Registered
357 Posts
I got mine done 2.2 diesel flywheel clutch transmission oil bolts indie did it cost me £800, parts and labour he used luk kit.
i did a motor mechanic course at college done level 2 imea last week i changed my sisters front brake and pads on her nissan qashqai parts cost £60.
Fast fit wanted £185

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi mate does the engine revs up when u change up but the road speed doesnt match ...

Hmm I haven't actually taken notice, I will check on my next drive.

What should happen on a healthy clutch compared to a clutch on its way out?

·
Registered
357 Posts
If u drive up hill and go in say 3rd gear see if the car picks up if u see the engine revs rise up then fall the clutch is slipping ...
Time to replace them i got mine flywheel and clutch replaced ...
As it was slipping

·
Registered
204 Posts
If u drive up hill and go in say 3rd gear see if the car picks up if u see the engine revs rise up then fall the clutch is slipping ...
Time to replace them i got mine flywheel and clutch replaced ...
As it was slipping

I don't believe it to be slipping I have watched some videos on Youtube on that, the revs do seem fine

1 - 20 of 30 Posts