2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
Put the axle stands just behind the jacking points, use a bit of wood on top, jack up the car using the bolt head that holds the subframe with a jack if you can get one under it
unnamed.jpg

The undertray has 4 M6 bolts underneath 2 around the centre and 2 on the passenger side, 2 clips in each wheel arch, around 5 across the bumper (mine has 2 M5 bolts as well but I don't think these are original) and about 4 clips underneath.
No code has to be inserted here.

Registered
Axle stands, by "just behind" I mean next to the jacking point inside, so the axle stand is on the flat part of the sill. I use a thin bit of wood on top of the axle stand to protect the cars undercoat.

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
Put the axle stands just behind the jacking points, use a bit of wood on top, jack up the car using the bolt head that holds the subframe with a jack if you can get one under it
View attachment 314127
The undertray has 4 M6 bolts underneath 2 around the centre and 2 on the passenger side, 2 clips in each wheel arch, around 5 across the bumper (mine has 2 M5 bolts as well but I don't think these are original) and about 4 clips underneath.
No code has to be inserted here.
ok that makes sense. i WAS wondering if that bolt was safe eto jack on.

So place the jack stands on the pinch welds on the side skirts? Don't have wood but i have rubber protectors on the jack stand ends.

Currently battleing through all the clips, they are taking a lot of work to remove. I guess mine has never had the tray off.

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
So I go the tray to release from the bumper and sides, enough so I can change out the coolant. However I noticed this on the bottom of the engine, is this indicative of a leak? I've not lost oil outside of when vtecing a lot.

thumbnail_Image (1).jpg
thumbnail_Image.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
awful day today, took few hours on oil change due to being obsession compulsive about it. Did spark plugs next, but over torqued the coil pack bolt so that snapped :(. Just got coolant left to do tomorrow hopefully, if i can get this bolt from honda.

And thanks pjacksat55, thats a relief.

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
Ok so something odd to report. I emptied out the rad, taking out the plug and releasing pressure from the rad cap + coolant res.

Tried removing the coolant reservoir as per the manual, but it was impossible without removing several items so in the end left it as is. (Hopefully I hadn't cracked it during all the tugging). Topped it, to my eyes, just below the MAX level.

I got out a 3.408L bottle + 1L bottle of old coolant. It was very blue and quite clean.

Upon filling (I only had a 5L bottle), I filled the radiator and I reached the the point where I could see the coolant. (however it wasn't all the way to the top, and I ran out of coolant at this point). Wasn't sure if I needed to fill it right to the rim of the radiator.

Anyway I turned the engine on with fans on full and heat at max. After some time the first fan cycle kicked in and the coolant rose then bubbled and dropped lower. As I had no coolant left (thought 5L was all you needed) I had to resort to the 1L of removed coolant of which I might have used 600-700ml. That being said the bottle of 1L old coolant was from drained squash so traces of the squash would have been left in that coolant. Is this a huge issue, have I effectively contaminated the new coolant by using the old?

Lot of blah blah but just trying to find out where I went wrong. I couldn't see any leaks anywhere. Went for a 30 min drive with lot of vteccing and the temp stayed at normal ranges. My mind is not at ease with intrinsic details like these lol. Might have done it wrong but learnt a lot about the process.

Something of note is that I originally started with the car on jacks stands pointing upwards when draining. I then lowered it onto the wheels to see if more would drain out. Is this maybe why I ran out of coolant when filling the radiator?

At Coolant Change: 4.4 L which includes 0.5L for the coolant reservoir. (as per the FN2 shop manual)

cheers

Super Moderator
After engine overhaul the FN2 takes 6.6l.
So it is possible that with you moving the car about you have drained coolant from the engine block that would normally get left behind doing just a change.
So following the manual could leave a couple of litres of old coolant in the system.
I would say that you don't need to worry, just get another litre and top it up to the bottom of the filler hole in the rad.

Premium Member
Really? Seems strange as honda list it as 4.4 - 5.4 litres for a full coolant change. which falls in line with what the OP is stating.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts